Slow Vista boot/black screen at HP Pavillion

Hello,

I just installed some -basic- programs, like Office, Adobe, WU's, McAfee etc) on my brother's HP Pavillion 9630ed notebook.

Also with the latest, official, HP-drivers.

However, on startup I see the Vista Welcome screen and between this and the actual desktop, there is a black screen (with zero to none HD- and CPU-activity, since the LED's aren't flashing) for about 2-3-4 mins.

I have defragmented (OK), ran ad-aware (no hits; OK), performed AV-scan (no results; OK).

He uses a Wireless Internet-connection.

Any indication on why this is? Is this because some HP/Vista-drivers are loaded in or is there some other thing? And how can I prevent this?

After boot-up everything is working properly and speedy, it's just this boot-thingy.

Thanks!

omg i was 5 seconds away from posing the same thing...I have an HP Pavillion dv6568se. And i have all the driver updates you have. Im thinkin' the HP update may not have the best drivers for the video card...Mine is Nvidia 8400M GS. I'll be watching this tread closely.

I was thinking on these videocard-drivers, 8400M GS, as well.

nvidia's site hasn't listed these.

Is this GPU HP only?

For the blank screen try this:

Right click Computer, click manage then go to

System Tools/Task Scheduler/Microsoft/Windows/MoblePC then disable TMM

Hope it works out for you.

I have disabled TMM, restarted twice, and i find that it has shortened the period of inactivity in my case down to 20 seconds from 1-3 minutes.

To be more specific, the inactivity is immediately following the user login, in my case, after i swipe my finger on my reader. It recognizes, then goes black.

btw, what is TMM?

I have DV6355us and I have the same exact problem. long loading screen and then the black screen before showing the desktop.

I found that if i leave the laptop inactive in the password screen for 10 secs and then type it in and press enter the problem disappears.

but if you don't do this it still happens. :(

TMM has been disabled, but its no use.

Edited by brayan27

I have DV6355us and I have the same exact problem. long loading screen and then the black screen before showing the desktop.

I found that if i leave the laptop inactive in the password screen for 10 secs and then type it in and press enter the problem disappears.

but if you don't do this it still happens. :(

TMM has been disabled, but its no use.

I think you may have a different issue, i don't even see a loading screen, it the black nothing that is the case here.

I have disabled TMM, restarted twice, and i find that it has shortened the period of inactivity in my case down to 20 seconds from 1-3 minutes.

To be more specific, the inactivity is immediately following the user login, in my case, after i swipe my finger on my reader. It recognizes, then goes black.

btw, what is TMM?

OK. So this helps a lot in booting time. Thx.

But isn't this (GPU-)driver-related and might, thus, be fixed in an update or so?

I don't believe its looking for another boot device once its already in windows. It would have made its choice long before log-in. I no longer see a long black screen after disabling TMM. I'm stuck on "Welcome" for a good 25 seconds.

edit: Your youtube video illustrates the problem very well.

So the disabling of TMM can be used as a workaround.

Any suggestions, known issues on this long logon/black screen on the YouTube video I mentioned earlier in this post?

Is this issue also know at HP (as far as you guys know)? And if so, is there a fix on its way?

mine does the exact same thing!!!!!! except it loads the desktop wallpaper and start bar, then i cant do anything with it for a number of minutes. jsut nothing loads! i posted about it the otherday

• 1 month later...
Hello,

I just installed some -basic- programs, like Office, Adobe, WU's, McAfee etc) on my brother's HP Pavillion 9630ed notebook.

Also with the latest, official, HP-drivers.

However, on startup I see the Vista Welcome screen and between this and the actual desktop, there is a black screen (with zero to none HD- and CPU-activity, since the LED's aren't flashing) for about 2-3-4 mins.

I have defragmented (OK), ran ad-aware (no hits; OK), performed AV-scan (no results; OK).

He uses a Wireless Internet-connection.

Any indication on why this is? Is this because some HP/Vista-drivers are loaded in or is there some other thing? And how can I prevent this?

After boot-up everything is working properly and speedy, it's just this boot-thingy.

Thanks!

Hi

Don't know if this may help you at all - Linky

Let us know how you get on

Regards

lacuna.cg

Thx for the link.

Checking up on that one...

That seems like a silly indication that the software needs updated. I have a dv6768se with the 8400m GS GPU and haven't had a issue if that helps you narrow things down.

• 1 month later...

Same exact problem: hp laptop and after the logon 1 or 2 minutes of black screen with just the white arrow. Nor disabling tmm, neither anything else worked, so I began disabling programs from sturtup by windows defender and, after a huge amount of experiments, I FOUND OUT! The problem is the Soft Thinks Launcher, the HP recovery software!! Disabling this from the startup the black screen disappeared. After that the pc may need some time depending on how many programs you have at startup, but you have your wallpaper, the windows startbar and you can do something. I don't know if this is a general/universal solution or only for my laptop... try it out and let me know: after all the time I spent to solve this problem I'm really courious... :)

I have the solution for all of you it is the video drivers from Microsoft update see HP makes custom Nvidia drivers for the the video cards in their computers and windows update will update the drivers to a newer version just because it has the same driver number for that device now if u get the update from Hp's support site you should be fine because i had the same problem when i was working on a customer's laptop, to solve this problem make sure that you configure windows update not to install anything unless you check it yourself manually and always check your details as to what Vista's windows update has to install.

• 4 weeks later...

hey frdz i had the same issue :D and glad it worked so i decided to register and tell u what i did

it works!!!!!!!!

open msconfig

and uncheck something called NO GUi BOOT

it is in the boot tab :)

tell me what happens with u

For reference-I have a Dell laptop (XPS m1530) which has an nVidia 8400M GS. You have to get the drivers from HP/Dell/whatever. There are special functions that have to be coded into it which nVidia don't bother with. They probably release core updates to the OEMs then they release their own versions (hence why you don't see it on the nVidia website.)

I don't have any problems with slow boot-ups, or shut downs.