How to backup partitions onto CDR?

Here's the deal, I have an external USB/FireWire Hard Drive with 3 partitions on it that I would like to compress (HIGH) and backup to CDRs, it should be spannable (since it won't all fit on a single CD). I've tried ghosting utilities like Norton Ghost 2003 and Drive Image 2002, but none of them worked, both failed to recognize the external USB/FireWire HD.

Is there any other way?

it's possible to make an image/backup of a drive with Nero...i've never tried it though. i use ghost

and how am I going to SPAN it to CDRs? Ghost is the way to go, but unfortunately it's no longer an option for me.

and how am I going to SPAN it to CDRs? Ghost is the way to go, but unfortunately it's no longer an option for me.

It looks to me as if the Nero utility (under File/HD Backup) will work. Nero says that it has limitations on volumes with system files, but your remote firewire drive shouldn't be a problem. The only other issue is that you can't access individual files, but, only restore the whole volume.

The other way to do this is with a more traditional backup program such as NTI's 'Backup Now'. That will backup to CDs from about anything, and, will allow you random access to files.

Unfortunately, it is a complete system backup, it's my laptop XP machine's HD. I would like a backup in the event that my current HD dies.

Right now I'm doing it with WinRar (spanned and to split to individual 700MB parts), hopefully that goes well, if it doesn't, then I'll go with the other methods.

The only thing that I'm afraid is during the restore, that WinRar might not restore the proper attributes of the system file and if I were the replaced the HD in the laptop, that windows XP might not bootup.

Unfortunately, it is a complete system backup, it's my laptop XP machine's HD. I would like a backup in the event that my current HD dies.

Right now I'm doing it with WinRar (spanned and to split to individual 700MB parts), hopefully that goes well, if it doesn't, then I'll go with the other methods.

The only thing that I'm afraid is during the restore, that WinRar might not restore the proper attributes of the system file and if I were the replaced the HD in the laptop, that windows XP might not bootup.

you have that right :(

For a complete restore of the boot volume, you 'must' use Ghost or Drive Image :yes:

System files in use will not copy correctly with WinRar :no:

That's true, I didn't think about how I would restore them. I thought about un'raring them from DOS, but then I realized that with NTFS (XP), there is NO DOS to bootup from.. :(

ahh well, I'll have to figure out another way.. :cry: