Windows XP Licence Question

I have at the momment a computer and a Laptop both running Windows 2000 pro SP3 and I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows XP Pro. Do I have to buy two seperate copies of WinXP Pro or does Microsoft give a deal too make it cheaper to buy for two seperate machines with the same user?

Also should I buy the full version or just the upgrade version?

ss1.

You can just buy the upgrade version and use it to do clean install, just provide your Win 2k CD during the installation :)

Also the Licence allows you to install XP on a laptop and workstation, with one single licence.

You can just buy the upgrade version and use it to do clean install, just provide your Win 2k CD during the installation :)

Also the Licence allows you to install XP on a laptop and workstation, with one single licence.

Please, can you quote the part of the EULA that says that? I'm sure that only applies to Office XP.

Please, can you quote the part of the EULA that says that? I'm sure that only applies to Office XP.

That is correct

For people that do not read the eula's - most likey are very large number :)

Here is the parts that you need to see;

Pro and Home - ONE copy! Office - one machine, one portable device :)

XP Pro

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the following rights

provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of

this EULA:

* Installation and use. You may install, use, access,

display and run one copy of the Product on a single

computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device

("Workstation Computer"). The Product may not be used

by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any

single Workstation Computer.

XP Home

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following

rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and

conditions of this EULA:

* Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly

provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access,

display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on

the COMPUTER. The SOFTWARE may not

be used by more than one (1) processor at any one time

on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated

on the Certificate of Authenticity.

Office XP

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This Section of the EULA describes

Your general rights to install and use the Software Product

The license rights described in this Section are subject to

all other terms and conditions of this EULA. General License

Grant to Install and Use Software Product.

You may install and use one copy of the Software Product on

a single computer, device, workstation, terminal, or other digital

electronic or analog device ("Device"). You may make a second copy

of the Software Product and install it on a portable Device for the

exclusive use of the person who is the primary user of the first

copy of the Software Product. A license for the Software Product

may not be shared.

As to your question about upgrade for full version - I would say that would depend on what price you can find for each? You can get a FULL OEM version of WinXP pro here http://www.compuplus.com/products.php3?sid...ts&cat=Software for $119, how cheap can you find the upgrade?

I have at the momment a computer and a Laptop both running Windows 2000 pro SP3 and I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows XP Pro. Do I have to buy two seperate copies of WinXP Pro or does Microsoft give a deal too make it cheaper to buy for two seperate machines with the same user?

ss1.

:whistle: 'Upgrade' from W2K to XP is truly an oximorion, and I can't imagine why, but If you insist, then get the full Version. Those Upgrade versions really become a PITA further down the line.

ss1.

:whistle: 'Upgrade' from W2K to XP is truly an oximorion, and I can't imagine why, but If you insist, then get the full Version. Those Upgrade versions really become a PITA further down the line.

An upgrade version can do a Full clean install you only have to prove you have a copy of the previous version on CD, which it verifies on install.

:whistle: 'Upgrade' from W2K to XP is truly an oximorion, and I can't imagine why.

Hmmm - oximorion?? Is this the same as a oxymoron :p

ss1.

An upgrade version can do a Full clean install you only have to prove you have a copy of the previous version on CD, which it verifies on install.

Yes exactly, thats what I said in my post

No1 ever listens to cream :cry: lol

Hmmm - oximorion??  Is this the same as a oxymoron  :p

Yeah... that's the same thing without the spell checker installed :laugh:

A little less anal retentive one might say :woot:

Cream was right, (way to go Cream)

I bought the upgrade version because you can do a full install with it and not just an upgrade. I would make a CD copy of an OEM installation of 2K though, just to be safe. In effect making your 2K installible from CD. OEM usually come already installed. So all you may have is a factory restore CD. I can give you directions on how to do it if you PM me.

So inorder to do the full install with the Upgrade CD, you only need to put the CD you created in the CD Drive for verification. Actually, you can use any OS CD for verification (95 to win.net). It is only for verification.

I would buy the full one mentioned for 119 though, that's roughly what I paid for my Upgrade version a year ago. :(

oh well, I better wait until I get some cash since it looks like i'll have to purchase x2 copies of WinXP pro. I was just hoping that MS have some deal where if you have one user and two comps you'll be able to get a reduced price for the second licence.

ss1,