Penguins get 3 goals in 48 seconds

PITTSBURGH - Scott Clemmensen buttoned his shirt and pulled his tie tight. He glanced in a mirror, folded his collar, and walked into an enclave of reporters who were waiting to ask how the Toronto Maple Leafs had managed to dissolve once again this season.

"They had the momentum, and they really capitalized on it," the goaltender said. "They put us back on our heels. And before we could take a breath, they popped three quick ones in on us."

Those three quick ones came in the time it took Clemmensen to fold his collar and give two answers. The Pittsburgh Penguins scored three goals in one 48-second stretch in the third period en route to a 6-2 blowout win Thursday night at Mellon Arena.

Penguins phenom Evgeni Malkin scored three times and was assisted twice by linemate Sidney Crosby. Pittsburgh won for the fifth straight game, while Toronto lost for the fourth time in five outings, sitting at the midpoint of its season with no stronger identity than the one it began with.

Its defence was reduced to spectator status when it mattered Thursday night. Its offence was wholly reliant on one man - captain Mats Sundin - and its goaltending was left to try to clean up the mess.

Source: National Post

I guess thats what you get when you play a minor hockey goalie against major goal scorers like Malkin and Crosby. Oh and the defense we pay millions for isn't helping either...

I can't believe MLSE makes you pay to watch them lose on LEAFSTV. hahaha.

I can't believe MLSE makes you pay to watch them lose on LEAFSTV. hahaha.

Actually it comes free with Rogers Digital VIP, I don't know, or care for that matter, about Express Vu or anything else. On topic however, it was a sad outing last night.

I would much prefer if the Leafs hit rock bottom and rebuild rather than stay middle of the pack. Ferguson also needs to go and Peddie should not be allowed to meddle anymore.

Other than that, Evgeni looked amazing last night.

I told a friend I'd see the Leafs win a cup. I'm starting to believe his retort was more accurate ... "Allan, you have a much higher chance of seeing a straight person on Church Street, then seeing the Leafs win a cup. Don't hold your breath."

when will MLSE give us what we want!

Haha...I live in Toronto.....and I have always hated the Leafs and especially their fans. Every year I have heard "this is our year", "this is our year" even when they get busted every season. I love it cause I love hearing all the fans moan about how they weren't treated fairly and just seeing their "shocked" faces. They don't seem to get it that the Leafs will never win another Stanley cup....not with the current MLSE mindset. Toronto Leafs fans are literally some of the dumbest ppl when it comes to this because they are so blinded by their love for the team that they cannot see clearly.

The Leafs will never be a Stanley cup team because they don't have to be. They are worth the most out of all the NHL teams (somewhere over $400m) even more than the Rangers, they sellout all the time and they make millions of dollars without even putting up a great team. They don't have to worry about losing money if the team doesn't produce cause they are in the big market. Why spend time and money on a team when the teams' pockets are always filled? This is not the same as those teams e.g. Ottawa or Buffalo where they can only make money if the team is producing or else they go red.

I guess also I'm a huge Sens fan so obviously I can smile wih glee......lol....but the Leafs need a MAJOR shakeup like the Raptors if they are to go anywhere.