[Poll] Does Speeding cause or reduce accidents?

Does speeding cause or prevent Accidents?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you on average drive above or below/at the speed limit

• Above!
    • Below! (or at the speed limit)
  2. 2. (For those that drive ABOVE) How many times have you gotten into an accident; minor or severe / your fault or not (please post this same answer below along with how long youve been driving)

• 0- None
    • 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • 9-10
    • 10+
  3. 3. (For those that drive BELOW) How many times have you gotten into an accident; minor or severe / your fault or not (please post this same answer below along with how long youve been driving)

• 0- None
    • 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • 9-10
    • 10+

Something about this poll is ? to me.

or run into things quicker... Where is the proff that they can avoid/escape better?

Dont forget that can avoid things but end up cutting people off causing an accident.

Well, when I was turning 16 and about to get my license, Mom wanted to get me driving lessons, so she figured instead of paying for crappy Taggerts Driving School, I should learn from a REAL driver on a closed course racetrack. Thinking being, if you can handle situations at high speed (over 100 mph) and not panic or freak out, then driving at "normal" speeds should be no problem. I was taught by a semi-pro driver that works the Porsche Club @ Road Atlanta. The main things taught were car control, knowing what the car is doing and how to respond correctly to it. I grew up around the race track and it shows in my driving, yeah I go 80 mph (in a 65 zone) on the Highway when conditions are suitable, but as my previous post suggests speed was NOT the factor in my case, other so called "drivers" were.

And as far as your "cutting people off", it's easier to just back off the gas a little, slip in behind them, then do what you gotta do, (now on track, it's a whole different deal) but the Highway is not a race, (6-10 feet) is not going to make a major difference in the time it takes you to get home. BTW the little stick coming off your steering column is not just there for looks (turn signals) use them, just because YOU know what you're going to do DOESN'T mean the folks around you do.

[rant] P.S. HANG UP AND DRIVE!

Your main function in the drivers seat is to DRIVE! Nothing else! [/rant]

it was a comparison between US and European driving. As it turns out europeans drive faster then americans, and have less accidents related to speed.

Maybe Europeans have more respect on the road then us Americans = less accidents. Cant really compare two countries and say faster is better in general. I see sometimes that motorcyclist get no respect where im from (people must hate that while were are stuck in traffic they zip on past us) but that doesnt mean its the same in another state or outside the US.

Maybe Europeans have more respect on the road then us Americans = less accidents. Cant really compare two countries and say faster is better in general. I see sometimes that motorcyclist get no respect where im from (people must hate that while were are stuck in traffic they zip on past us) but that doesn't mean its the same in another state or outside the US.

I've never been to Europe so I can't say they drive any better or worse, but here in the US the mentality seems to be "It's my car, it's my road, get outta my way" everyone here "thinks" they're "special" like waiting until the last second to get in the lane they should've been a mile back - oh wait, I forgot you are more special than me. <--Yeah right, if you think you're so special then get behind me.

As far as motorcycles go, I don't think anybody respects bikers, mainly for the fact that a few idiots do stupid crap like, "ride the white line", pass on the emergency lane and so on and so forth, while doing 90mph or more.

I rode with my HI BEAM on at all times on my bike (Honda VFR 500), But I still left a few lasting dents in the side of people's cars for trying to pull over on me because (they didn't SEE me, Well I know they heard the boot to the door! When they looked to see what hit them they got a good view of my middle finger, I hope it left a lasting impression, I know my foot did.

If you think I'm kidding, I ride a Honda CBR 900 (Red & Black, Black & Red Leathers), on I285 from the Galleria to Peachtree Ind. Everyday (when its nice, like today) Pull over on me and I'll leave a dent in your door too.

-How long you've been driving for: 3

-How much above/below (or at) you drive at on average: 10-15 km/h city above, 30-50 km/h highway above

-How many accidents you've been in your life or the past year: 0

-Comments: Few close calls but mostly in parking lots with other drivers. Have one stoplight I always forget about, people from Winnipeg will know about the one near the Superstore near unicity. It's hard to see because it's so close to another. One sliding incident on ice, no accident.

How long youve been driving for: 11 years

How much above/below (or at) you drive at on average: 0mph +/- 5mph

How many accidents youve been in your life or the past year: 1 and I was rear ended in the rain on a hill (not my fault).

As long as the people speeding aren't weeving in and out of the lanes like morons I generally don't care. I simply find it waaaay more relaxing driving the speed limit and letting everyone pass me (I've had way to much of 95 and Northern VA traffic).

As far as motorcycles go, I don't think anybody respects bikers, mainly for the fact that a few idiots do stupid crap like, "ride the white line", pass on the emergency lane and so on and so forth, while doing 90mph or more.

I rode with my HI BEAM on at all times on my bike (Honda VFR 500), But I still left a few lasting dents in the side of people's cars for trying to pull over on me because (they didn't SEE me, Well I know they heard the boot to the door! When they looked to see what hit them they got a good view of my middle finger, I hope it left a lasting impression, I know my foot did.

If you think I'm kidding, I ride a Honda CBR 900 (Red & Black, Black & Red Leathers), on I285 from the Galleria to Peachtree Ind. Everyday (when its nice, like today) Pull over on me and I'll leave a dent in your door too.

Hahahaha. Funniest post I've read in ages. Kudos :D

How long youve been driving for: 11 years

How much above/below (or at) you drive at on average: 0mph +/- 5mph

How many accidents youve been in your life or the past year: 1 and I was rear ended in the rain on a hill (not my fault).

As long as the people speeding aren't weeving in and out of the lanes like morons I generally don't care. I simply find it waaaay more relaxing driving the speed limit and letting everyone pass me (I've had way to much of 95 and Northern VA traffic).

Hahahaha. Funniest post I've read in ages. Kudos :D

Funny but true. I guess I played too much "Road Rash" on the SEGA. Oops, blame the video games. :laugh:

One lady had her passenger side window down and decided to change lanes (without a turn signal I might add) never looked, just tried to move on over, I was almost able to smack her through her window. You've heard of defensive driving school right?, I went to the offensive driving school, classes now forming. :p

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an aggressive driver on the street, I try to give a little common driver courtesy, If you're trying to enter the Highway I'll back off so ONE car can merge in front without everyone coming to a complete stop, if the person behind would do the same, let ONE car merge, traffic would flow much smoother. But no, you gotta wait until the last second to get over 5 lanes to the exit you get off at everyday, and hold everyone else up while you make your bonehead banzai move (without a turn signal) to top it off.

-Age 26

-How long youve been driving for nearly 7 years

-How much above/below (or at) you drive at on average max speed over is 20-30 kmh over on hwys

-How many accidents youve been in your life or the past year. 1 my fault, 2 not my fault, 1 naturally caused (see below for info)

Accidents:

1. Is my fault, I couldn't see the gate in my driveway due to the sunshade on the door blocking the door mirror. Only scratches.

2. A 4WD was reversing out of a park space and as I wait to take his place, the 4WD reversed too far out and hit me in the grill. Damaged and dented grill and fronter bumper, 4WD was unaware that he just hit me and was gone.

3. Got sandwished at an intersection on a bridge exit. It was raining and an old commodore's driver was busy admiring the scenic river on the sides he didn't see me. He hit me and the result made me hit the car ahead. Lucky my car is extremely fine except for stratches on the towbar (the thingy which trailers or caravans hock to your car).

4. Was driving home from work experience at CQU. It was very sunny and as I turn into the bush ruote to get to my home, the sun was shining so hard I could barely see the way ahead. A group of kangaroos was crusiing around nearby and hopped across the road. I only made mysefl aware of those kangaroos after I hit. cracked headlight.

The car involved is now not under my ownership. I have long since got a new car which is one of Australia's most popular car (Holden Commodore).

I think I recall a fellow member here previously saying that if you drive above the speed limit, you usually concentrate more, so you pay more attention to the road, and so you have less accidents!

-How long have you been driving for: 1 year

-How much above/below (or at) you drive at on average: Try to stay as close to limit as possible

-How many accidents you have been in your life or the past year. : 0

I've been driving since 15, so 6 years now.

I drive maybe 1MPH over usually, unless passing cars. I speed on occasion, but it's very, very seldom that I do and I try not to.

I've been in only one accident, and it wasn't even while driving. I was stopped at a yield waiting for cars to pass, and the girl behind me ran into me. So it really doesn't mean my "slower" driving = a wreck. I've not had any other fender benders/wrecks while driving though.

Driving: 11 years

I drive at or above the limit on motorways and open roads. In built-up areas I personally think that 20 should be enforced in some areas.

As much as I have been involved in 3 RTAs - 2 my fault, one not - only one was due to speed.

I do think speeding carelessly causes accidents. However, I also feel that whatever speed your doing, if you are a bad driver, you are a bad driver!

-How long youve been driving for: 22 years

-How much above/below (or at) you drive at on average: About 5-10 over or at the speed limit depending on traffic and driving conditions.

-How many accidents you've been in your life or the past year: 3 in all my driving years

-Comments : Speeding is dangerous and surely can add to the posibility of having an accident and should be avoided when possible. As I am a Paramedic and spend most of my time going over the speed limit I think I'm used to it to the point that sometimes I don't realize I'm speeding until I check my speed.

Bio

Personally, I don't think the people that speed realize they may be the cause of accidents.

If you speed, you're more likely to change lanes either unexpectedly or well within the acceptable distance of the car behind you. This (usually) causes the driver behind to slam on their brakes, which causes a chain reaction, lasting several minutes.

The last driver in this chain, may be driving the limit but due to a brief distraction, run into the car ahead slamming on its breaks.

So, in reality, the speeder caused the accident without realizing it.

Additionally, "speeding" has nothing to do with the posted limit. The posted limit, if you flash back to your drivers-ed book, is the limit for ideal conditions (dry road, clear visibility, low traffic). If any of these are not met, the speed limit is reduced to the safest driving speed for the conditions without exceeding the posted limit.

So, a person going 65mph on a road posted for 65 mph in a rainstorm is speeding.

There was an interesting fact I heard recently... if you simply tap your breaks at rush hour, on a major highway (I-95, 401 etc) the ripple effect of the simple ONE SECOND touching of the breaks, can be seen hours later, and for hundreds of kilometers behind where you did it.

This topic reminds me of a joke...

A cop pulls over a blond on the i75 for doing 75mph in a 55mph zone. He asks her "Do you realize you were speeding?"

She says "Well the sign back there says 75."

The police says sign? Oh no, that's the Interstate sign. It's what interstate your on.

The blonde replies oh ... how stupid of me... I'm sorry it wont happen again.

The police lets her off with a warning, and turns back to his cruiser. As he does, he sees three people in the back, shaking like leaves. He askes the blonde: "What is wrong with them?"

She replies "Oh, I just got off the I110."

38yrs old, driving for 13+yrs, 0 accidents, 0 tickets and I tend to drive above the speed limit on highways ONLY. I never speed anywhere there are pedestrians. I also DO NOT tailgate, I use my signals, and I drive defensively. I don't talk on the phone while driving, nor do I do any other distracting activities. If I'm in a car, I'm driving and paying attention to everyone around me.

I am of the opinion that speeding does increase the chance of accidents, especially among inexperienced drivers.