D-Link DIR-635 NAT Filter and UPNP Question

Ok, first of all, what do those options mean?

I'm home user, lil' bit of Torrent and eMule but other than that nothing spectacular.

post-38597-1199839536.png

2nd Question: A screenshot of the upnp-Device properties. Is my routers firmware really that broken?!? D-Link, don't play with me, a Netgear already got kicked because of gimmickry like that... :p

post-38597-1199839831_thumb.png

An what did you not understand from the description in the manual? Page 41

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir635/Manual..._manual_101.zip

--

NAT Endpoint

Select one of the following for TCP and UDP ports:

Filtering:

Endpoint Independent - Any incoming traffic sent to an open port will be forwarded to the application that opened the port. The port

will close if idle for 5 minutes.

Address Restricted - Incoming traffic must match the IP address of the outgoing connection.

Address + Port Restriction - Incoming traffic must match the IP address and port of the outgoing connection.

--

As to the display of aspects of the properties?? Maybe it has something to do with your version of windows not being english??

As to the display of aspects of the properties?? Maybe it has something to do with your version of windows not being english??

Damit, makes me wanna turn red and leave. I googled and yahooed and live searched for hours, read the routers built in help, didnt get any more intelligent. Searching the D-Link site for a manual didn't occur to me.

I don't quite understand it, but it's mainly a language problem. Does address+port restriction mean, the router doesnt forward incoming connections at all if the port hasn't been opened? But since a port is specifically opened for one machine anyway, how does endpoint independent make any difference to restricted, since it would be forwarded to the machine which opened the port anyway. No?

---

I doubt the language dependency though. It used to work with all routers I had by now, this is the first one which doesnt. I'm on a german vista ultimate and get these results. My GF's english XP Pro spits out the same. I really doubt it though. Reported it to D-Link, let's see if they care about in in the next FW.

Your confusing port forwarding an SPI.. Forwarded traffic does not care where it came from, or what state. All traffic for that port is forwarded.

Did I really have to quote that as well? Did you not read the manual, after I pointed out where the info was located?

Enable SPI:

SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection, also known as dynamic packet

iltering) helps to prevent cyber attacks by tracking more state per

session. It validates that the trafic passing through the session

conforms to the protocol.

Those settings determine define how locked down your SPI is.

This might help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateful_firewall

If its doing it on your xp with english -- then I do doubt its a lang thing, it was a guess ;)

If you don't really understand what everybody is talking about and if you're lost, you usually stay lost...

But I had that *pling* moment and I think I got it now: the setting regulates how far the SPI checks the incoming traffic. Not at all, by IP or by IP and port!

Thanks...!