Windows Vista SP1 Refresh Available

A question for those of you installing -- did any of you not do a clean install (format and all that)? If so (as in if you just installed it without formatting), are you encountering any errors?

I have, I think, interesting observation. In SP1 Refresh with Ready Boost works faintly. I have Kingston SD Ultimate card and when I use it, the processor consumption is higher than without it. System speed is same.

A question for those of you installing -- did any of you not do a clean install (format and all that)? If so (as in if you just installed it without formatting), are you encountering any errors?

i just removed the previous RC and installed this one from wu with no problem at all

The whole process for one PC took arround 3 to 4 hours but unistalling it and installing the new one worked fine. No errors. Done on two systems.

Managed to get it installed. Decided not to go the clean install route but instead went through and uninstalled the old version then installed this version. Whole process took 4 hours but surprisingly didnt break anything. Everything seems to be working well but having used the public release for so long now i cant actually see any differences between that one and this 'new' refresh!

Anyone else found any differences?

Are you for real? .. 4 hours?

What exactly took so long? .. uninstall or installing the refresh?

I tried to uninstall the old rc but i rebooted the machine after 2 hours thinking it was hung.. after the 2nd stage.. all i see is a black screen for over an hour..

I have, I think, interesting observation. In SP1 Refresh with Ready Boost works faintly. I have Kingston SD Ultimate card and when I use it, the processor consumption is higher than without it. System speed is same.

USB use the CPU to translate and create the data signals, unlike many other comm ports.

So all USB devices in USE will use a certain amount of CPU, with readyboost there is a whole lot of data trafic going on, and the CPU is doing the work for all of this, so readyboost will increase the idle level of the CPU .

IDE drives also use the CPU like this, so when doign large copyjobs on older OS' you will probably have noticed how larfge copyjobs slows the system down significantly, GPU acceleration of the GUI helps avoid this though. SCSI disks on the other hand have onboard controllers and don't tax the CPU in this way.

USB use the CPU to translate and create the data signals, unlike many other comm ports.

So all USB devices in USE will use a certain amount of CPU, with readyboost there is a whole lot of data trafic going on, and the CPU is doing the work for all of this, so readyboost will increase the idle level of the CPU .

IDE drives also use the CPU like this, so when doign large copyjobs on older OS' you will probably have noticed how larfge copyjobs slows the system down significantly, GPU acceleration of the GUI helps avoid this though. SCSI disks on the other hand have onboard controllers and don't tax the CPU in this way.

Thank you for your explanation, it's clear for me now.

The whole process for one PC took arround 3 to 4 hours but unistalling it and installing the new one worked fine. No errors. Done on two systems.

curious as to what the specs of your computers are.

mine didn't take that long including the time it took to uninstall the previous version and install the new one

Took the chance of getting this and installed it. Seems to be working fine and quick. Only problem was installing stage 3 it hung at 100% for about an hour so I just restarted the computer and it then booted to the desktop. Very quick and much more responsive! Great improvement.

It sounds like SP1 is really good at this point. Looks like moving to Vista with my next PC is getting closer.

I m uninstalling the SP1 RC as whether we download via Windows Update or the big stand along exe for SP1 RC refresh, we have to uninstall it, hope to get the full installer soon.

i still didn't get a chance to download the full ISO that's already slipstreamed. I'm running the EXE now and it runs nicely but it just bothers me that i "upgraded" - I always feel like the system could be faster if it was slipstreamed whether that's actually true or not. LOL

i know, i was just saying i haven't had a chance to do that yet... wasn't around any fast connections this weekend... just stopping by hotspots. I will tonight tho :)

First post here.... Hiya, I got the option to install this SP 1 RC through my Windows Update module, so I guess M$ is offering it through this route, at least for me they did!

In any case it took about 1/2 hour to install all of it and noticed after rebooting twice that I now had full admin rights so I could now move and organize my start menu. I could before but some folders would give me feedback that I didn't have rights to move them. Now, they moved just fine. WOOT! I do have this irritating text in my lower right corner of my screen saying it's an evaluation copy but under the System info says it's an activated version. So that's odd! :huh: Seems faster now for sure as well!!

Haven't really dug around too much to see what else is changed or better.

First post here.... Hiya, I got the option to install this SP 1 RC through my Windows Update module, so I guess M$ is offering it through this route, at least for me they did!

In any case it took about 1/2 hour to install all of it and noticed after rebooting twice that I now had full admin rights so I could now move and organize my start menu. I could before but some folders would give me feedback that I didn't have rights to move them. Now, they moved just fine. WOOT! I do have this irritating text in my lower right corner of my screen saying it's an evaluation copy but under the System info says it's an activated version. So that's odd! :huh: Seems faster now for sure as well!!

I guess that evalution copy text there is so that you know it's not finished service pack yet..

Your windows is still activated though.. :)

Thanks for the reply. OK< so now I have no Network Magic share file connectivity with my other machine since this installation so I removed the SP1 RC trying to get it back. Didn't work so I've uninstalled Network Magic and will start over but not until I get this issue as resolved as I can get it. I still have this notice that the OS is an evaluation copy and I know I installed some little exe to allow Windows Update to offer this SP1 RC as an update but I can't remember what it's called and if I can get rid of it!! All I know is that I am not getting any other options for updates but this SP1 RC and I don't want to go through that again. I think I will wait for the Final Sp1 to come out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks much

Richard ;-)~

Edited by Richard A.

^^

I got a french system and used wave 0 . But in order to stop everyone : THIS IS NOT THE RC REFRESH (build version is still .668 ) !! So don't waste your time d/l and installing wave 1.

Wave0 has 5 or 6 languages, french is one of them as its one of the most widely used languages in the world :)

This was only true for the PIO modes, which are now fallback modes. DMA uses a negligible amount of the CPU (a few percent). Not enough to have any affect on performance. The GPU doesn't really factor into it.