Weird phenomenon of opening files

It's torturing me that my DVD-ROM drive could not open some Compact Discs, always reports "Please insert Compact Disc into your DVD-ROM drive". The configurations of my machine is not very bad (CPU: P4 C 1.7G, HD 40 G, 256m SDRAM etc. OS/Winxp. Hereinafter referred to Machine1)?? and the Compact Discs are all fine(could be opened with my another machine, which just configured with K-6 450MHz, HD 2.0G, 128MSDRAM, 50x CD-ROM drive etc. Hereinafter referred to Machine2), and in most of cases, my DVD-ROM drive can play SVCD that my 50x CD-ROM drive definitely fails to read..

I have ever thought my DVD-ROM drive is perhaps weird, and so I took down the 50x CD-ROM drive and loaded it into the Machine1 instead of the DVD-ROM drive, sadly the unpleasant situation succeeded. Seems like something wrong with my 40G HD? Me is been freakin out.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

Are these compact discs original or burned? If they are burned, the method used (SAO, TAO, DOA16, DAO96) will affect what cdroms/dvd players can read them. ... also different burning apps will do things differently and may not always be read by all readers.

If these are original cd's you're having trouble with ... check with the maker to see if there is some copy protection that causes them not to play on some machines ... otherwise check with the manufacturer of the offending player, cause it can get complicated fast ...

Even this might not help though, cause cd's are made in many different ways and all cd players just don't don't support all formats.

At least sounds reasonable, and that I have in a way pondered what you thought above. But what made me surprised is just this means of protection (who has ever showed off such an anti-burning apps? O good heavens, for God's name, no one has ever done so I dare say! Am I on the right track? )

My DVD-ROM drive sometimes could not read certain original CD, and sometimes could not recognize certain burned one?? ??Luckily, ??, the graphics adapter on the 4xAGP on my machine1 occurred some error which Winxp indicated that may be caused by graphics adapter, so I took down the card and put a PCI graphics adapter into the PCI slot. Guess what happened? My DVD-ROM drive read the burned CD out successfully&:)3; :) Hehe, the 4xAGP card (SiS 315, with 32M display memory) is the headstream of the problem? NO no, soon the DVD-ROM drive became disable to read the burned CD again! Though the DVD-ROM drive usually can read out most of CDs smoothly, better than the CD-ROM drive can (I have ever noticed this in the previous post, the CD-ROM drive can read the burned CD smoothly all the time!) The why I described this is to imply there is no special means of protection ( protecting copyright) against the DVD-ROM drive..

The situation seems still weird.