UFC 83 Thread

The UFC will likely return to England for an March 8 event in London, and one potential slugfest is already in the works.

A source close to Houston Alexander (8-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the UFC light heavyweight has accepted a fight with James Irvin (13-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC) and is simply awaiting word on whether Irvin?s camp will green-light the bout.

The upcoming event, UFC 83, will be the UFC?s second in London since September. The organization headed to the O2 Arena on Sept. 8 for an event that featured Quinton Jackson?s unanimous-decision victory over Dan Henderson. It was the organization?s first trip to London since July 2003?s ?UFC 38: Brawl in the Hall.?

If the Alexander-Irvin fight pans out, it?ll be the second trip to London for Alexander. The Nebraska-based hip-hop DJ and single father of six splashed onto the UFC scene with a quick 48-second knockout of Keith Jardine at UFC 71. He followed up that knockout with an encore performance when he KO?d Alessio Sakara at UFC 75, defeating the Italian in just 61 seconds.

However, Alexander ran into a roadblock at UFC 78, where he suffered a TKO loss to Thiago Silva after his opponent secured the mount position and rained down a series of unanswered punches.

Alexander will look to rebound against hard-hitting Irvin, who most recently fought at UFC 79. There, opponent Luis Cane tagged Irvin with an illegal knee early in the first round. Irvin was knocked out cold and earned a victory via disqualification.

It was Irvin?s first fight since a May UFC 71 event, where the 29-year-old fighter suffered a significant injury when his knee buckled during a loss to Silva. The defeat snapped Irvin?s three-fight streak.

In addition to the possible Alexander-Irvin bout, a fight between the U.K.?s Michael Bisping and ?The Ultimate Fighter 4? cast member Charles McCarthy is also in the works for UFC 83, according to MMAWeekly.com.

A UFC 83 event rumored to be taking place in England could instead take place in the U.S.

The news comes from our friend Steve Sievert at the Houston Chronicle, who spoke to a source close to the event for his ?Brawl Sports? blog. According to the source, the U.K. location has been scrapped, but the March 8 show ? which will likely include Michael Bisping vs. Charles McCarthy and Houston Alexander vs. James Irvin ? will go on.

As Sievert pointed out, the timing of the event was peculiar. UFC 82, which features a main event between Anderson Silva and Dan Henderson, is set to take place March 1 in Columbus, Ohio, and UFC 83 was rumored to take place one week later ? overseas in London or Manchester.

The event would have been the year?s second in the U.K. The UFC heads to Newcastle, England, this weekend for UFC 80, which boasts a lightweight title fight between B.J. Penn and Joe Stevenson.

UFC officials, and specifically Dana White, have talked openly about the organization?s desire to continue its penetration of the European market ? even if it means short-term losses. White has stated that the Las Vegas-based UFC has already lost a small fortune promoting its shows in England and Northern Ireland, but he said the organization will continue to host shows in the U.K. and other European countries throughout 2008.

As of now, there?s no word on a possible replacement location for UFC 83, though Las Vegas always remains a likely standby.

• 3 months later...
ever since the bisping vs hammel fight where hammel got ripped off, bisping can go to hell

Yeah I don't like Bisping now at all and I want to see him get pwned.

Anyone think Franklin may be gunshy after his last couple of fights?

Bispings 1st fight at middleweight. He will be a big middleweight as opposeed to a small heavyweight, so should do well at the weight. Unless he has problems making the weight.

I take Serra, Lutter, Bisping, Starnes and Bocek.

I also have the winning euro lottery numbers tonight (really I do) :D

Anybody else think the undercard is really blah? Even the Franklin fight is really not blowing my skirt up. Can't I just watch the main event for 5 bucks or something :ninja:

how can anyone pick serra over GSP, really? it doesn't make any sense.. sure serra beat him the first time around, but this is a new GSP, as proven when he made hughes scream like a girl. There is no way GSP is gonna lose this, serra should just get on one knee and tap out as soon as the bell rings.

As for the franklin fight.. i'm a fan of both him and lutter, but don't let the fact that franklin keeps getting beat by silva sway you, dude is a beast and is not to be taken lightly, franklin will come out a winner.

it was a great event. I agree Bisping looked awesome in that weight class.. can't wait to see more from him. Franklin was great, as i said in my previous post i have no idea why people doubt this guy, he's phenomenal. However i did not expect Lutter to gas that quickly into the 2nd. And last but not least, not only did GSP beat Serra, he punished him similar to the hughes fight, Serra barely got a punch in. Whoever picked serra and lutter in these fights needs to watch more ufc and get better educated, cause these were easy picks.

it was a great event. I agree Bisping looked awesome in that weight class.. can't wait to see more from him. Franklin was great, as i said in my previous post i have no idea why people doubt this guy, he's phenomenal. However i did not expect Lutter to gas that quickly into the 2nd. And last but not least, not only did GSP beat Serra, he punished him similar to the hughes fight, Serra barely got a punch in. Whoever picked serra and lutter in these fights needs to watch more ufc and get better educated, cause these were easy picks.

Just like GSP was such an easy pick last time? Not to take anything away from his skills or his victory, but I think that a lot of what won the fight for him was the fact that he kept Serra from ever getting comfortable. I think you take too much away from Serra. I'd love to see a 3rd fight between the 2.

Honestly Serra isn't on the same level as GSP, and I'm not saying that just because he's my favourite fighter. There isn't a fighter in the UFC who has the stamina, speed, and athleticism that GSP does. If you watched the whole fight, Serra never had the advantage once, he was soundly beaten.

He made excuses for his last loss to Serra, but I thought he took him too lightly and didn't really have a gameplan. That's my 2 cents at least.

Just like GSP was such an easy pick last time? Not to take anything away from his skills or his victory, but I think that a lot of what won the fight for him was the fact that he kept Serra from ever getting comfortable. I think you take too much away from Serra. I'd love to see a 3rd fight between the 2.

he would murder him again...

GSP bulked up big time within the last two years. When he fought Matt Hughes, I was shocked. He was physically outdoing Hughes, and that is no small feat at all!!!

If GSP stayed thin but ripped like he was a couple years ago, Serra may have taken him. But now... he's going to dominate.