• Sophos
    • Symantec (Corporate)
    • Trend
    • VBA32
    • Windows OneCare
    • Zone
    • Other (please specify below)

Question

A fresh "Best Antivirus" poll for 2008. Please use this as a reference when researching antivirus utilities. As time goes on, the poll can be updated to add further options.

Happy voting!

Symantec AntiVirus on my main desktop

Symantec Endpoint Protection on my laptop

Been using Symantec's business products for years without a single problem. :)

NOD32, though I have to say that version 3.0 isn't very good. Popups keep appearing, even after disabling them, and it started messing about with web access the other day as well. Certainly nowhere near as polished as 2.7, though the interface is much nicer. I don't know whether it's a 64bit Vista issue. Also, when installing it last (from the official site) it gave me an error message in a random language (Polish?), which was quite weird.

Hello,

Are you running the 3.0.621.0 build? It seems to fix a few of the usability issues from previous versions.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

NOD32, though I have to say that version 3.0 isn't very good. Popups keep appearing, even after disabling them, and it started messing about with web access the other day as well. Certainly nowhere near as polished as 2.7, though the interface is much nicer. I don't know whether it's a 64bit Vista issue. Also, when installing it last (from the official site) it gave me an error message in a random language (Polish?), which was quite weird.

+2 for KAV . Not a big fan of KIS for some reason. I guess I just

prefer not to have all my eggs (security wise) in one basket.

NOD32 again. Been using for a couple years now. Actually I recently upgraded to their new program, ESET Smart Security. My license was up for re-newal and I noticed on their website they had info on their new product, I took a look at it and decided to purchase. Basically it is their great anti-virus NOD32 and also anti spyware and a firewall. I have been liking it so far, runs good on my 32bit Vista system. Also bought a 2 year license for my folks' computer as a Christmas present and it's been working well for them as well.

Kaspersky (Y) too. FTW!

I do like NOD32 but heard purchase support here is very bad.

I couldn't disagree more. I've had to call them twice. Each time I got through instantly without waiting on hold and they had the problem cleared up in minutes.