Alternative to FiOS router/modem?

Ever since I switched from Comcast, I haven't been able to use my Linksys router. I was supplied with a free router/modem from Verizon which I quite frankly think its crap (Actiontec MI424WR). With Wireless N comes new hardware and I'd like to put that technology to use. Is there a way where I can have a seperate modem and a wireless router of any choice?

My speed is 15.5 mbps down, 2.3mbps up

ty :)

Well if you're using DD-WRT you could always use the Linksys router in 'Repeater' mode.

I am..

please do tell..

or maybe I can buy a linksys cable modem? would that work?

Did you even read the article I linked too?

Is the mi424 connected using its MoCA interface or not?

If not, an connected using ethernet -- you should be able to take it out of the mix altogether..

What is connected to your mi424? If its coax, an your also using TV across your FIOS??? Or is it a ethernet cable only?

I was pretty close but I couldn't get it to work
WTF does that mean??

I tried your link Budman, but I couldn't get my linksys to get to the net, I went to DD-WRT and it even obtained an ip (WRT54GS is the model incase you were wondering). I got FiOS TV as well running through coax on my actiontec modem

I followed all the steps, at the end it says I just should have an orange light on my modem flashing red, it was just continous orange on mine.

An what IP did your wrt54g obtain? What is a public 1, or was it a private one? If it was a private one -- you did not setup the mi424 as a bridge.

I would assume your FIOS is pppoe based? Did you configure that on your router, etc.

If you connection to the mi424 is MoCA -- then no you can not just go by some other modem to use..

^ did you even breeze over the thread?? That is NOT what he is wanting to do.. JFC people, alteast attempt to read the thread before posting ;)

He is wanting to put his gateway device into bridge mode, so that it's just a modem -- not a modem/router combo.. He is not talking about bridging wireless routers together or repeater mode, etc.

^ did you even breeze over the thread?? That is NOT what he is wanting to do.. JFC people, alteast attempt to read the thread before posting ;)
Calm down now, I just caught it on the way out, so I'll admit I skimmed over it. Hopefully he found a solution or replies back. ;)

unfortunately I didn't but I thank you for your efforts non the least.

I got a little busy with work this week which is why I hadn't replied.

I don't know if the IP was private but the IP read like 192.168.1.3 on DD-WRT. I hooked my router into one of 4 ethernet ports on my actiontec wifi/modem and my router's wifi led light which glows orange showed up, almost convinced me something was working.

It feels impossible but I won't give up.

192.168.x.x is a PRIVATE address -- so no you did not turn your gateway device into just a modem.

I am at loss to where to go next, since you have not given any details of what you did.. Nor even if your connection to your MoCA or ethernet..

You have not given us any details to help figure out what your doing wrong.. I have given you the details of how to use your mi424 as just a modem.. What part of the thread did you not understand, what part is not working?

192.168.x.x is a PRIVATE address -- so no you did not turn your gateway device into just a modem.

I am at loss to where to go next, since you have not given any details of what you did.. Nor even if your connection to your MoCA or ethernet..

You have not given us any details to help figure out what your doing wrong.. I have given you the details of how to use your mi424 as just a modem.. What part of the thread did you not understand, what part is not working?

on the last part of the guide when my modem didn't blink red on orange internet led, it just stayed orange

about MoCA where can I tell? I was hooked directly via ethernet when doing all this obviously

My bad you did state your using a MoCA connection -- "I got FiOS TV as well running through coax on my actiontec modem"

Did you read thru the entire thread -- or just the first post? There is lots of info in the body of the thread.

My bad you did state your using a MoCA connection -- "I got FiOS TV as well running through coax on my actiontec modem"

Did you read thru the entire thread -- or just the first post? There is lots of info in the body of the thread.

I mainly read through the 1st post, I looked at other posts but didn't bother to go to the 2nd or 3rd pages. I'll take a look as soon as I finish my chemistry :)