Super-quiet keyboard

I'm looking for a replacement keyboard for my PC at work. It's one of the OEM-supplied Dell jobs with the bulges for the spacebar and the lock indicators and it's getting a bit noisy.

I don't need a lot of multimedia buttons or anything (though if a real nice, real super-quiet keyboard has them, that's okay), and I'd like to stay away from those foldable rubbery keyboards. I'm not really averse to laptop-style keyboards, though I've never actually used one on a desktop.

Pretty much what I'm looking for is a keyboard with a solid keypress and quiet, quiet, quiet, quiet keys. Money's not really an issue as long as the price is reasonable for what the device offers (i.e. no "designer" stuff that's more style than substance).

I like the look and feel of IBM (now Lenovo) keyboards - the black ones with the blue enter keys - but the one I have is too loud for this. If they have newer ones that are quieter that'd be great, but if not, I'll go for something more silent.

Thanks, guys, for whatever advice you can give.

EDIT: I'm now looking for a keyboard that produces less noise than either the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 6000 or the Logitech MX3200. Additionally, if someone can make a definitive recommendation between the two as to which is better (quieter, better built, more reliable, etc.) I would greatly appreciate the advice. The Logitech is more expensive than the Microsoft, however I have had a long history of being impressed with Logitech's design, ergonomics, etc. If someone can advise as to whether the MX3200 is worth the extra $30 or not, that, too, would help. Of course this assumes that no recommendations are made for better keyboards than both the MS 6000 and the Logitech MX3200.

EDIT 2: I'm currently going to keep with the above guidelines, but I'm also taking advice on the Logitech diNovo Edge 2 and the Logitech UltraX as compared to the MX3200 and the Microsoft WD6000. Some perspective on price is also appreciated, as the diNovo may require local anesthetic around the rectal area to ease the pain from the massive efflux of cash (that is to say, it requires one to pay out the ass for it). I have it on multiple counts that it's worth the expense but at $160, you can understand my desire to be sure beyond sure.

EDIT 3: I'm quite surprised, but pleasantly so, at the praise the diNovo's been getting here. So I'm going to seriously consider trying one out...at home. Try as I might I can't really justify a $160 expenditure for a work PC where I won't be in the frame of mind to enjoy it properly, but as I said lower in the thread, if it turns out to be that awesome I can just bring it into work after all. Looking at it on Logitech's site, though, it looks extremely sexy and almost a worthy replacement for my Das Keyboard on my Mac (alas, one that gets that kind of heavy use needs to be wired so as not to have battery concerns).

In the meantime, the contest is down to my final 2 contenders:

The Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000

and

The Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 3200 Laser.

If anyone has experience with both or feels otherwise qualified to comment, please do, as I'm truly having a tough time deciding between the two. The MX3200 feels a little nicer and I have more history with Logitech, but the WLD6K is significantly less expensive and feels very nice in its own right. They both have their strong points and I doubt I'd regret either one, but I need a little assistance making the final call.

Thanks again. You've been terrific thus far and, I might add, you've made me very happy to be a Neowin subscriber.

Edited by CelticWhisper

I bought several MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboards in the past. They all started quiet, but after heavy usage, they're not as quiet as before. I think this will be the case with any keyboard you buy, that eventually it'll lose its quietness. Still, the noise my keyboard makes now is nothing compared to others I've heard.

I actually demo'd a Wireless 6000 at OfficeMax yesterday and it was on my final-candidates list (along with the Logitech MX3200). Wanted to check with you guys first, and also I snuck a few keystrokes on a Best Buy employee terminal that was using an IBM keyboard that felt nice and sounded quiet (which is why I asked about the IBM/Lenovo keyboards - the BB employee one was quieter than the one I have at home).

Only thing is, with the Wireless 6K and the MX3200, is there any way to get just the keyboards and not the included mice? I've already got my MX Revo connected to this PC and the mice that are included with those keyboards aren't as nice as the Revo is.

Also, keep the suggestions coming, sounds good so far.

$160?!? God DAMN, the diNovo better fetch my slippers and wash the dishes too for that kind of coin. Don't get me wrong, it looks very nice and the multifunction touch-circle sounds neat, but...that's a little more than I was looking to spend unless this is a seriously (functionally!) revolutionary bit of kit.

Okay, I'm going to amend my question now since I found the Microsoft Wireless 6000 for $40 on the Egg:

Can anyone recommend me a super-quiet keyboard that is quieter than the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 6000? If not, I think I'll go with that one. If so...lay 'em on me, people!

Any keyboard you buy is going to get noisy over time. I finally gave up and now buy the basic Dell keyboards. They're just as quiet as the Microsoft/Logitech counterparts at first and they're so cheap you can just throw it away after a year and get another one. Most often IT departments will throw them out when they receive new computer shipments. Just express your interest and you might get a nice supply for free!

$160?!? God DAMN, the diNovo better fetch my slippers and wash the dishes too for that kind of coin. Don't get me wrong, it looks very nice and the multifunction touch-circle sounds neat, but...that's a little more than I was looking to spend unless this is a seriously (functionally!) revolutionary bit of kit.

It really is worth every penny.

Everything is exactly where you expect it to be, everything is smooth and quiet, volume slider uses a touch sensitive layer to change the volume, etc etc.

Also, if you like laptop trackpads, you'll like the pad that's included on it. You should try one out at your local pc store if money is not an issue.

Phew...well, I'll see about it. I don't know if any PC stores near me have a diNovo out for use, but I'll check. I think the only other keyboard I've seen that I found exorbitantly expensive was the Art Lebedev OLED keyboard, which is understandable due to the technology that went into it.

So the diNovo is priced as it is because...is it just the R&D that went into the design, the trackpad technology, the touch-sensitivity...what? If it's worth it I'll seriously consider getting one, but I'd like to know with some specificity what features the money is going toward.

I've got a Das Keyboard on my G5 at home and, while it has no whizz-bang features, the $80 was well-spent in terms of its build quality and longevity. If the case is the same with the diNovo then cool - I'm no stranger to spending more for quality (hell, I paid $3400 for my G5).

I wish someone would start a PC hardware rental service so I can try this stuff before I commit.

Thanks again, everyone. Keep the suggestions coming, check my modified first post for guidelines.

Seriously, the dinovo edge is worth the money...I bought the first one for 180 canadian from NCIX, the second cost 100 as a web special from future shop. It really is a fantastic keyboard. From the feel of the keys, to how quiet it is, to the fact it works so bloody far away from the computer, to the simple things like being able to lock out the caps lock and windows keys (I HATE those keys and REALLY appreciate the ability to get rid of them). The batteries last a hell of a long time before you need to recharge them, and it recharges pretty quickly as well.

It's definitely a keyboard you have to use to appreciate the value of it, otherwise ya, it seems expensive, but use it and you'll love it.

I won a dinovo edge in a raffle but I never ended up using it, I just cant type well on it but it is very silent. It just has all these features I don't need and since the buttons are so flat I always end up hitting the wrong keys since they all blended together like laptop keyboards. :p

And I have no need to be 20 feet away from my computer while typing so it is just overkill. The only thing it does that a normal keyboard doesn't is it has little touchpads on the side which don't work all that well unless you are using it for media center pc or something. Oh and it lights up. :p

Hmmmmmm, okay.

I'm going to edit my first post again to reflect this advice. As nice as it sounds, the more I think about it, I can't quite justify it for my work PC. Now, for a home PC (of which I have many) it might be just what the doc ordered. Particularly for my HTPC since the TV is a good distance from the sofa and the HTPC is right by the TV.

At this point, I think it's down to recommendations of Microsoft WD6000 versus the Logitech MX3200, with the strong suggestion to try a diNovo at home. And hey, if the diNovo rocks my socks off, I can always bring it into work and swap.

So, final round: MSWD6000 versus Logitech MX3200. FIGHT.

You should try out the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Keyboard. It is a great keyboard, it is also ergonomic.

ergonimic keyboards have actually been found to be worse for you than normal keyboards...

anyways despite that comment I think between the two he is looking at the MS one feels a bit better, of course taking customer service and durability into account, the logitech is the better buy

Using MS Wireless Optical Desktop 4000 and it's pretty quiet. IMO the MX3200 is a BIT quieter. But that's comparing it against the 4000, not 6000.

Thanks, guys. I think I'm probably going with the Logitech. The deciding factors are the straight/standard form factor of the device (none of my other keyboards are curved so it'll take no adjustment), my history with Logitech, and their reputation for customer service.

It's definitely pricier than the 6000, but I was willing to shell out for both a Kensington Expert Mouse and the Logitech MX Revolution, so no sense in playing the tightwad now.

Thank you all again, very, very much, for your insight. Those of you who recommended the diNovo, I'm keeping that in the back of my mind and keeping an eye open for deals on Newegg or the like. The more I hear about it the nicer it sounds.

Tell you fellas what, though: when I finally do get the replacement keyboard (MX3200 or, if some mysterious compelling factor comes along that changes my mind at the last minute, the 6000), I'll do a review in the reviews forum as an additional thank-you to the Neowinians who were so helpful here.

Sorry I didn't read the entire post but honestly without a doubt the most quiet keyboards will be ones like the Logitech diNovo Edge where they use laptop keyboard style keys (I think its called membrane or something). I have a MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 and its really loud (always has been) , had a kb with similar style keys to the diNovo Edge and was damn impressive with how quiet it was.