Ati Radeon 9000 pro locks up

I recently installed the ati Radeon 9000 pro (128 meg) into my system and before that I only had a tnt2 (32 meg) card, and its also in a p3 1 ghz machine

I recently reinstalled Windows Xp and for some reason I get lockups when playing movie files of any sort (avi, mpeg, etc), and sometimes during web-browsing just clicking a button or two, and I used both the drivers that came with the card , microsoft drivers and the newest drivers they had from ati.. i even used media player 6.4 and tried the media player 8 (haven't installed 9 yet) I tried to re-install windows xp twice and it still did it. First I did all the update files including service pack one and then the second time without service pack one..

the lock ups got too bad that I did an installation of windows 2000 .. so far no lock ups at all.. and its been 2 days

does anyone have a clue why it locks up?

Thanks

i've tried running without all the added gui effects, and it still locked up..

it first started locking up actually when I was messing around with the tv-out and when I dragged the video from the tv to monitor it would lock up.. but the video played fine.and this was on the old installation of winxp.. now it just locked up whenever a video was played..

I got the 64 meg version of the 9000 pro, no problems here, did you try the older ATI drivers?

ATI CATALYST 2.5 for example, if you want them I can host it on my site

argh.. after installing it and installing the drivers

the video plays fine but now if I move the video around or shut it down it locks up still

thanks though for trying..

my ATI AIW 9700 pro locked up all the time... i finally figured out I had IRQ conflicts so I disabled ACPI and it works fine now

btw.... does anyone know if disabling ACPI affects performance any?

tried that...

still locks up..

could it be power? i think I only have a 250 watt power supply..

would playing a video suck more power out?

could be...250 watts is pretty skimpy for a newer machine, but i don't really know much about power :(

does it freeze up when you are playing games or anything else graphics intensive or is it just video?

ok, let's see if this helps.

on my radeon 9700 Pro box, it has this thing called fullstream which changes internet video to make it sharper. If your card has the same thing, then try disabling that if you can.

hmm

its not exactly a new machine its a p3 1ghz (MicronPC) the card that came with it was a visiontek tnt2 32 meg card

Well there is no setting for "fullstream" or anything to make video sharper

So far I have just played video, haven't had time to install games or graphics ..

you could try tweaking some of your bios settings

BIOS update/settings:

You may consider using these settings in your BIOS to help troubleshoot your issue.? If you are changing any of the options in your BIOS, please be sure to note what you are changing and what it was set to initially.

NOTE: These options may vary depending on the type/version of your system.? You may or may not have all these options.? Please consider changing the settings that correspond to those listed below.

- Video BIOS Shadow and Video BIOS Cacheable - DISABLED

- C8000-CBFFFF Shadow and CC000-CFFFF - DISABLED

- AGP Aperture size - 64 MB

- AGP Turbo - DISABLED

- VGA Frame Buffer and Primary Frame Buffer - DISABLED

- PnP OS installed - YES

- Assign IRQ for VGA - ENABLED

- Resource Control - AUTO

- AGP Bus Mastering - ENABLED

- VGA Palette Snooping - DISABLED

- Disable any UCSW or Write Combine options in the CMOS

- Disable any manual configuration of PCI by setting these options to AUTO

- System Bios Cacheable - DISABLED

- Video BIOS Mode Cache - UC

- Try lowering the AGP support (i.e. from AGP 8X/4X to AGP 2X).

Edit: also make sure your bios is up to date

has to be up to do date because MicronPc doesn't have any files for it..

btw.. I dont recommend getting a pc from MicronPC .. i thought it might be an alternative to Dell when I got it, but it sucks..

i tried too many ways in the bios to configure it..

i gave up and put my tnt2 back in.. I might try again soon but I think i might send it back or sell it or something..

ok, let's see if this helps.

on my radeon 9700 Pro box, it has this thing called fullstream which changes internet video to make it sharper. If your card has the same thing, then try disabling that if you can.

you can't enable/disable fullstream in anything because the only program that uses it is real player one, and the only version of RP One that had the code to even do fullstream was only shipped with retail ATI 9700's . No other ATI card has fullstream capability either.

Now I would try a fresh install of XP without acpi. To do that when the xp cd boots up and tells you to press F6 to install a 3rd party raid adapter press and hold F5. Then it'll give you the option to choose standard PC.

If that doesn't work, I'd assume it's some kind of TV out issue