[UFC] Brock Lesnar to Headline UFC 86?

The UFC is heading to London for a show on June 14, and Brock Lesnar ? a former collegiate wrestling champion and WWE performer ? will headline the event if UFC executives get their way.

The news comes from our friend Mark Gilbert at The Sun, a U.K.-based newspaper/tabloid that began covering the UFC extensively with Manchester?s UFC 70 event this past April.

According to the report, UFC executives want Lesnar to headline the show because of the popularity he garnered from his days with the WWE. Lesnar was signed by the professional-wrestling organization in 2000, he debuted in 2001, and he made his final appearance at WrestleMania XX in March 2004 before a short-lived career with the Minnesota Vikings.

The fact that the UFC would want Lesnar to headline an event is intriguing, considering he hasn?t even made his UFC debut yet. That fight comes in 10 days, when Lesnar takes on former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir in the co-main event of UFC 81.

With only one professional fight and 69 seconds of fight time, Lesnar remains a huge question mark in MMA. It?s not known if he?d still be targeted for the UFC 86 main event if his debut turns out to be a total flop. Then again, a victory over Mir could thrust the versatile athlete into immediate title contention.

News of the UFC?s June 14 show first appeared here on MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) when site writer John Morgan reported that Marcus Davis had already been told he?s been scheduled for the event.

UFC 86 is tentatively scheduled to take place at London?s O2 Arena

A bit much before he has even debuted!

i agree.. it's way too much exposure for this guy who is gonna get punished by Mir next month...

But the UFC is pretty desperate now for some HW contenders that they may have actually had some sort of clause in Lesnar's contract that allows him to headline such an event.

interesting. what was his 1 professional fight?

nm: from ufc.com

On June 2, 2007, Lesnar made his long-awaited MMA debut and took only 69 seconds to destroy Min Soo Kim with strikes that led to a submission.

In his first official MMA match, Brock defeated Min Soo Kim (Choi Hong-Man was pulled from the match) by submission (via strikes) in under two minutes

Lesnar v. Couture :drool:

Not gonna happen Couture quit UFC and now they are suing him because he is going to M1 to fight Fedor

Then they asked him about Brock Lesnar and Kurt surprisingly semi-complimented him by saying he was a good in ring competitor but then stated that he was a "mental midget," claiming Lesnar could not do well under pressure. On Lesnar's matches in MMA, Kurt predicted Lesnar would win if there was little to no pressure on him. It was a fairly short interview and unfortunately they have not posted the podcast on their site yet.

Source

Mental Midget :laugh:

^^

LMAO!

Seriously tho whop would win...Angle or Lesnar...my moneys on Angle.

Depends on the rules. Wrestling (not WWE) or MMA rules.

Wrestling, Angle. MMA, I would have to go Lesner on experience :laugh:

The 69 seconds he fought before gives him that 69 seconds edge over Kurt :p

Wrestling Angle would pwn him (who remembers that awful shooting star press at Wrestlemania where any more botched up Lesnar would be in a wheelchair right now)

MMA It would still be Angle I think he just has the better skills.

The 69 seconds he fought before gives him that 69 seconds edge over Kurt :p

Wrestling Angle would pwn him (who remembers that awful shooting star press at Wrestlemania where any more botched up Lesnar would be in a wheelchair right now)

MMA It would still be Angle I think he just has the better skills.

But has he got the chin for Brocks punches (and vice versa obviously)

But has he got the chin for Brocks punches (and vice versa obviously)

True plus once down on the mat and those punches reigning down fights are usually stopped because no one recovers and you can imagine brock would smash angles face in.

I dont know why people discount Lesnar out so easily. Although he hasnt got a gold medal like Angle, Lesnar's a very good wrestler. Definitely in the league of Angle.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I think Brock will take the win at UFC 81.

My personal heat on Lesnar is the fact that given he is unproven in MMA, he sure has a damn big gob going around telling everyone he can whoop Randy's ass and so on and so forth!

And why the hell is he still being advertised as a 3 time WWE Champion! My Granny could be a WWE Champion if creative wrote her in as Champ! That don't make her any good at MMA!

NCAA Champ = (Y)

WWE Champ = (N)

His comments on ass whooping Randy just means he is taking his wrestling big mouth and doing some promoting of a future bout. That is if he proves to be the real deal. Even at that, he will never beat Randy but will sell a whole lot of tickets and probably cross over some WWE fans. That will only help the future of UFC. Problem is I don't know if I personally care all that much for the sideshows. Like K1 with Bob Sapp, Giant Silva, all turning out to be lamers. Brock to me at least looks like he could be a contender. I dunno. We shall see.