Crysis dual core vs quad core, any benchmarks available?

What I'm trying to do is to justift, to myself; that I need a new Quad Core Penryn as soon as they are available.

Found this snippet on Shacknews:

Shack: Is there dedicated support for 64-bit and dual- and quad-core processors, and if so how does the game distribute its tasks? Do you suggest a higher-clocked dual-core over a quad-core, or is quad-core performance enough to give it the edge?

Cevat Yerli: We support both 64-bit and multi-cores. Multi-core will be beneficial in the experience, particularly in faster but also smoother framerates. 64-bit and higher memory will yield quicker loading times. We recommend quad core over higher clock.

Edited by 1Frothy

I may do a test if I have time but I wouldn't suggest you upgrade for Crysis, the game isn't worth spending the money over.

Thanks (Y) I hope you do manage to test the Quad-Core / Dual-Core performance, but if you are too busy, thats fine.

I have heard that Crysis isn't the hit that many were expecting, I have played the demo and saw a bit more of the game on a friends computer but I wasn't blown away.

What I am considering doing is an upgrade to quad core sometime in Q4 this year, for Far Cry 2. Maybe.

Crysis only uses 2 cores, whether its a core 2 duo or a quad core. No point to get a quad core just for Crysis. Also only 1 or 2 games use all 4 cores of a quad core, one of them being Lost Planet.

Yeah, Supreme Commander will spread itself across up to 16 cores if they're available. Also minor beef; there is no Quad Core Penryn; Penryn is the name of the 45nm laptop chips. The 45nm quadcore desktop chips go by the name of Yorkfield.

Crysis only uses 2 cores, whether its a core 2 duo or a quad core. No point to get a quad core just for Crysis. Also only 1 or 2 games use all 4 cores of a quad core, one of them being Lost Planet.

Source?

Uses all of my 4 cores. May not give you better performance, but it uses all cores.

Source?

Uses all of my 4 cores. May not give you better performance, but it uses all cores.

Yes it does for me too. And it does increase performance, especially at the snow areas.

• 3 weeks later...

i have just upgraded to quad 6600 /4 gb ram with 8800 GTX. Crysis works nicely at 1920x1200 @ ~30FPS.

i've also tried it in vista64, however the lack of a decent nvidia chipset driver is currently causing issues. It did seem slightly faster though using 64bit.

i have just upgraded to quad 6600 /4 gb ram with 8800 GTX. Crysis works nicely at 1920x1200 @ ~30FPS.

i've also tried it in vista64, however the lack of a decent nvidia chipset driver is currently causing issues. It did seem slightly faster though using 64bit.

Similar to what I just built only Im running a GTS8800 512oc. So are there any good dual of quad tweaks or secrets any of you know of? I guess if the app doesnt make use of multi core then theres not much that can be done...or is there?