Windows Vista SP1 RC Refresh 2

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 RC Refresh 2 is available to Beta testers through Windows Update. Experience the WU installation path for Windows Vista SP1 by following 4 simple steps and give us your feedback to improve our quality.

Notice: The following Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) builds represent RC Refresh 2 code. These builds incorporate all tested changes up to Microsoft's RC Refresh 2 date. Please note that these builds are provided for additional beta testing purposes only and may not be distributed. These builds are provided to you "as is" and are subject to change. Your right to use these builds will expire upon Microsoft's commercial release of SP1 to the public.

Systems running on Windows Vista RTM typically require two or three updates before SP1 can be installed. These updates are permanent on your Windows Vista systems. Windows Update will detect your system configuration and offer the prerequisite packages that are applicable to your system. Based on the state of your system, Windows Update will offer you all the applicable prerequisite packages and SP1 in a sequential order. For details, please see the instructions below.

If you already installed the Service Pack to your machine, you must uninstall the previous build before installing RC Refresh 2.

Here are 4 simple steps to get SP1 on your machine.

On Vista RTM

1. Download the script to your machine and run it on elevated prompt after removing ".remove" from the filename.

? To run the script on elevated prompt, after you download the script, right click on the file and select "Run as administrator" option.

? The script sets a registry key on your system. The registry key is required for WU server to recognize your machine as a valid target for Vista SP1.

? After running the script, Windows Update automatic updates will automatically update your machine over the next several days with the appropriate prerequisites and then offer the Service Pack. If you would like to install SP1 quicker you can manually do the next few steps to speed up the process.

2. Install all pending "Important" updates and the pre-requisite updates for SP1. You may have to repeat this several times to get fully up to date.

? Check for updates on Windows Update. Go to Control Panel ? System and Maintenance ? Windows Update and check for updates by clicking on "Check for Updates" in the top left of the task pane.

? You will be offered all previously released Windows Vista updates that you may not have installed on your system. Install all applicable updates.

? If you have Windows Vista Ultimate, or Windows Vista Enterprise, Update for Windows (KB935509) should be in this list. If you have any other version, Update for Windows KB938371 should show up in this list. Reboot your machine when prompted. If you do not have Vista Ultimate or Enterprise, Update for Windows KB938371 should show up first and KB935509 is not required.

? If you reboot and rescan on Windows Update right away, sometimes times you may not see all updates. This may be caused by the installer service completing the install of the prior update. Please wait 5-10 minutes and scan again. (This delay should not be required for the final SP1 release.)

3. Install Update for Windows (KB937287).

? Update for Windows (KB937287) it does not require a reboot. This is the "installer" code for the service pack.

4. Install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330).

? Wait for 10-15 minutes prior to checking for updates again, to enable the installer to complete it's self installation.

? Check for updates on Windows Update again. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 IKB936330) should be available.

Don't forget to post your mini-review in the newsgroups and complete the install survey located here: http://connect.microsoft.com/windows/Surve...x?SurveyID=5418.

Regards,

The Windows Beta Team

@echo off

well  lo0ks like those guys hate the fact that i give them access to the build
so...
enjoy the blank space now

for all the ppl

you can say thanks to the haters

Enjoy

For the admins:

i dont know if i can post the code or not

so if i cant please edit the thing

Edited by SaT117

A fine example of how to break an NDA.

A fine example of someone who insted of sayin Thanks says crap

if u dont like it just close the window

and i bet that even with the comment

u alrdy use it

gezz...

what a haters

lol, well I am sure that helped a few non-beta testers download the thing. Oh well. I really enjoyed RC1, it actually improved my network speed quite a bit compared to the first build.

lol, well I am sure that helped a few non-beta testers download the thing. Oh well. I really enjoyed RC1, it actually improved my network speed quite a bit compared to the first build.

yea its super fast and stable now :)

right now i have to uninstall the R1

to i can test the R2

i hope they made it faster :)

u alrdy use it

gezz...

what a haters

Already use it, yes. I'm a tester.

Oh my goodness people... it's going to be all over the internet in 24 hours.

It already is. But it's not cool to leak. It hurts the trust that MS has for testers.

Erm, I really doubt it in this case. SP1 is already a public beta, and I doubt they really have many qualms with this since it promotes their product and really isn't anything secretive or anything that can defame them or put them in a bad light.

Erm, I really doubt it in this case. SP1 is already a public beta, and I doubt they really have many qualms with this since it promotes their product and really isn't anything secretive or anything that can defame them or put them in a bad light.

This release ISN'T a public release. Don't use a past release as an excuse to say the leak of this one doesn't hurt anything.

It hurts the people that actually want to test stuff and report bugs. The more people leak stuff, the groups they choose to test them get smaller and smaller and they'll choose people who've been testing software for them longer than others.

That's how it can hurt things. It can make it take longer to test and get the final versions out.

To the OP:

You knew you were breaking an NDA, that's if you're even part of the test group which I doubt you are. Either way you should know these e-mails always say not to say anything about them. You knew what you were doing posting it here so stop trying to argue with anyone who doesn't like what you're doing.

Unless you a corporate TAP tester you're never going to test stuff that actually matters so I am not sure why people think they are very important or part of a select group because they are MS beta tester, everyone is - get over it and stop being NDA police.

because like where I work, there are lots of very ridiculous rules that defy common sense at many places.. and there are people like me who like to use common sense, and there are others who say that rules are rules, and that's it.. of course they pay me to follow their nazi-like rules, so I do follow them. :)

Unless you a corporate TAP tester you're never going to test stuff that actually matters so I am not sure why people think they are very important or part of a select group because they are MS beta tester, everyone is - get over it and stop being NDA police.

lol...how else can these kidos be '1337'..i bet they wear 'im a beta tester' (written in magic marker) tee-shirts to school and when pulled over by police for speeding tell them..."but im a MS beta tester"....not only does MS give us a good OS but they give these kido's a worth of being something online because real life is too difficult for them to handle.

u alrdy use it

gezz...

what a haters

Exactly. There will always be whiners out there. Thanks though for the info on getting this installed!

Uninstalled the old SP1 RC refresh.

Ran the SP1_rcr2RK file, and found Install Update for Windows (KB937287).

Installed that, been about 20 min now, haven't seen any other updates or the SP yet. Any ideas?

Uninstalled the old SP1 RC refresh.

Ran the SP1_rcr2RK file, and found Install Update for Windows (KB937287).

Installed that, been about 20 min now, haven't seen any other updates or the SP yet. Any ideas?

Just keep refreshing...

I've installed it on my 32-bit version, and am currently installing it on my 64-bit version. It does take a little while for the service pack to show up.

Just keep refreshing...

I've installed it on my 32-bit version, and am currently installing it on my 64-bit version. It does take a little while for the service pack to show up.

Ok. Going on 45 min, still no sp listed

Ok. Going on 45 min, still no sp listed

I don't know if this is circumstantial, but sometimes I've had to reboot after installing the last update in order for the service pack to show. 45 minutes is unusual.

I thought there was a command you could run to ensure the update of the first file is successful for people who run into this issue.