Speakers suggestions/help?

hey people,

I have been looking for some new speakers to add to my iMac and HDTV setup, I have originally been looking at the Bose companion 3's as it seems a good 2.1 set, but my audophile friend said no look for some monitors as they will sound much better. So I have been having a look around and came across the M-Audio AV40's and then some KRKs but there super expensive, I'm really only looking to spending about ?150ish on some speakers really.

So can anyone point me in some directions or suggest me some alright speakers?

Thanks,

Jordan.

Don't buy the Bose, they are overpriced lifestyle items, not meant from actual performance. For three hundred USD, you have some room to play with. I'm assuming your in the UK?

Ok, name them...

In no particular order

Sony

Panasonic

Paradigm

LG

B&W

Mirage

Yamaha

Def Tech

O wait thats eight. The Teufel to my knowledge are all built in China probably from the same cookie cutter knock off designs that float around the industry after the bigger audio companies present their new models.

[...]

The Teufel to my knowledge are all built in China [...]

Which is also true for most of the names on your list.

But that doesn't make them better.

Who cares? Most electronic componets come from China or Taiwan nowadays.

His pricerange was ~?150.

What do Logitech 5500's go for there

If you like nice sound these rock and do spdif as well right from out audio output

yeh they are 5.1 but the Imac will fill in all the channels even though its not 5.1

and there is a nice 5.1 decoder that works via firewire

The there is the younger 2.1 set based on the smae system

Which is also true for most of the names on your list.

But that doesn't make them better.

Absolutely, and it wasn't meant to say they were crud either. Its a matter of economics which dictates where products are manufactured in our current global marketplace. Though some of the items created for a few of the said companies are very well equatable to crud.

Who cares? Most electronic componets come from China or Taiwan nowadays.

His pricerange was ~?150.

Yes, but there is a thing such as RnD which goes a long way in perfecting serious equipment not designed for uber mass consumption. For 300 USD = ~?150, he can definitely create a a great 2.0 or 2.1 system. Its simply a question of brand, features and additional accommodations one wants in a system.

To the OP: What are you looking for? I'm assuming a simple system with bookshelves or satellite speakers?

Im looking really for some bookshelf speakers to be honest, so basically your saying Bose is a no go because the price aint worth the quality.

I have already had some Logitech Z5500's there now downstairs on the TV and to be honest i wanna move to some "real speakers"

@GOJI_GKing2000 yea im wanting to pay ?'s and do you have any info/use with teh M-Audio AV40's as they seem a decent price i played with them in the apple store and they sounded good too, its just I dont know if there really future proof and will they be able to grow with me if i later bought a mixer/amp and more speakers?

Yes, Bose is more of a lifestyle designed product that aims to be high class yet fails when compared to multiple products at cheaper price points.

My limited knowledge of the AV marketplace is relegated specifically to the US market with exception to global brands existing on several contents: ie., Klipsch Group Inc which is the worlds largest speaker box manufacturer in the world. That being said, I'm not wholly familiar with whats available in the European markets as most Europeans take audio much more seriously than most Yankees would ever care to, thus you have more options as far as hardware is concerned IMO.

I would suggest searching for the monitor/bookshelves that you enjoy listening to within your price range either new or used and then searching for a simple receiver with connectivity to your HDTV and PC. As long as the speaker you opt for are of a quality build, and ask around in your area from local dealers and friends, you should be set for a while. When and if you do decide on a full HT system, you can purchase a much more powerful HT receiver or preamp and amp with a new set of speakers for upfront listening while shuffling your bookshelves for rear duty. You should be ok!

My recommandation goes, as always, to the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. They are not your mainstream "kickass" speakers like Logitech Z-2300 (or 5500, same model of speakers). For their price and size, they produce some beautiful, rich sound. Of course, they're virtually nothing compared to some studio monitors I've worked with, but these were 800$ and up. For your budget I'm not aware of anything better than the ProMedia 2.1.

My recommandation goes, as always, to the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. They are not your mainstream "kickass" speakers like Logitech Z-2300 (or 5500, same model of speakers). For their price and size, they produce some beautiful, rich sound. Of course, they're virtually nothing compared to some studio monitors I've worked with, but these were 800$ and up. For your budget I'm not aware of anything better than the ProMedia 2.1.
I second the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. Good speakers for the price.

That is what I have and love em.

Get the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's!

I would normally agree, the Pro Media's aren't really all that. They are good, don't get me wrong, and at their price range of 100-150 USD, they can't be beat. However, the OP has a roughly 300 dollar limit to invest in higher quality products.

If you want to consider the world of Klipsch, look into the iFi's. They are a 2.1 system specifically created and branded for the iPod and is considered the best branded iPod speakers on the market. However due to their size, the product never took off as most iPod aficionados are into small sleek products instead of performance powerhouses. They double seamlessly for a regular PC or TV system, but the monitors are not interchangeable into other HT setups as they were specifically created for this system, and nothing else.

Would you then say it is worth me saving little longer and getting some KRK Rockit 6's then.

Also what do people think about cambridge audio speakers???

You can save and save and save and always buy something better. The trick is to find the price point where you'll be satisfied for now. This is a hobby that can get very expensive very quickly.

I don't have immediate first hand knowledge of Cambridge, though everything I hear is positive if not better. They have been in the industry for well over forty years I believe and pump out some great products at great prices.

Would you then say it is worth me saving little longer and getting some KRK Rockit 6's then.

Also what do people think about cambridge audio speakers???

Yes, definately. I've never heard music sound good :p

Make sure you get decent cables though, I got some cheapish 1/4" TRS cables and it makes them hum and crackle when nothing playing.

But monitor speakers are built to notice flaws in the music (for mixing/mastering), maybe you would be better off with a 5.1 setup or something?

Yes, definately. I've never heard music sound good :p

Make sure you get decent cables though, I got some cheapish 1/4" TRS cables and it makes them hum and crackle when nothing playing.

But monitor speakers are built to notice flaws in the music (for mixing/mastering), maybe you would be better off with a 5.1 setup or something?

But that is what I intend doing music recording and mastering, with my synth, guitar and bass.

So cambridge could be a way to go because I have seen a deal some cambridge speakers and cambridge amp for ?179.99

No, monitors are meant to reproduce then mix for the most unbiased sound possible for playback on other speakers occasionally at the lowest common denominator possible. After all, for those who love audio, wouldn't you want a speaker to properly replicate the source material instead of placing a big ole band aid over the material that was weakly mastered/recorded? Please, crud in is crud out regardless of what your using.

Since the vast majority of all audio recordings have been done in stereo format, jumping to 5.1 really isn't worth it unless you plan on listening to matrixed sound or SACD's or DVDA's.

So cambridge could be a way to go because I have seen a deal some cambridge speakers and cambridge amp for ?179.99

I suggest that you listen to them first as well as to other closely priced items to compare them. Purchase what suits your needs.

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Anniversary - They have won accolade after accolade and are a great pair of monitors.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/mo...Product_ID/3589

The Cambridge Audio amp you have seen is very nice (IIRC it is the A3 at Richer Sounds), but the speakers don't impress me very much!