White PS3 40GB Unboxing/Walkthrough

When it comes to America/Europe what are your plans?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. I am...

• getting one!
    • not getting one!
    • satisfied with my black PS3!

I hate the white controllers so I voted for happy with my black PS3. Mine will have a 160gb HDD in it soon anyways so I don't really care what new models come out.

1: is it a shiny white or a nice flat color

2: does it have 60gb model with BC

3: if i imported from japan to UK would it work on 240v ?

1: is it a shiny white or a nice flat color

2: does it have 60gb model with BC

3: if i imported from japan to UK would it work on 240v ?

ps3white.jpg

1. Dunno, looks "solid" white? :/ (but it is reflective/shiny) That picture makes it look quite sexy IMO - Reminds me of The Stag in Top Gear for some strange reason :|

2. No, it's a 40GB with no BC - No idea if USA/UK version will differ (IMO I really think Sony are gearing up for software BC, they are completely stream lining us to the 40GB just now with no BC, and I don't think the rumoured 120GB if it comes will have BC - I think that is more just to compete with the elite on hdd space)

3. Yes, the PS3's power unit is rated 110-240v. People who imported Japenese/HK PS3s before they were out in europe were just using "kettle plugs" to power em.

I've got to say that white ps3 looks awful. I think everything about the ps3 just suits the piano black look, not to mention it suits my piano black TV, very sexy (Y)

+1

The only white thing I have is my X360 and it stand out from everything else in my entertainment center where black is the main color. I'll keep my black PS3 and hope for a black DS3 remote.

I AM GETTING ONE OF THESE BAD BOYS! And I have the most perfect spot to put it!

keyboard.jpg

Right on the keyboard baby! OH YEAH!!!

White just gets really grungy after a while.

And I can just imagine how grimey the controller would look after some good hard use.

Not to mention, my black PS3 goes with everything else I own electronics wise.

Black TV, Glass computer desk with black steel, Black computer, Black Speakers, etc.

You don't clean your controllers?

Ok, trashing the color white I see, well it is not "horrible" nor should it make you want to puke. What's "better" is opinion. I Think the white is way sexier than the black, the black being pretty sexy already. Black has always been the conservative choice, and why most of you have all black electronics. Perhaps you'd be able to see that they both look great, if you were more open-minded. My mac/ds stand out, but they look gorgeous doing so. And they've always stayed white, just clean them every now and then.

I have one. It really is nice. The white is very aesthetically pleasing. I am basically and Xbox 360 kind of guy, but damn if that thing isn't pretty...

Edit - Oh, and Pixel Junk Monsters has done more for the PS3 than any other game for me. Uncharted was great, but...

Black buttons on white controller = big no no for me :p Looks stupid. Liking the PS3 in white though :yes: Much prefer it over the black.

True the contrast is a little too much.

ps. 15 votes for this topic with an average of 1 star, how sad...

True the contrast is a little too much.

ps. 15 votes for this topic with an average of 1 star, how sad...

It really isn't. Anyway, I checked your sig as I wanted to know how to play HD vids on my PS3, but that is crazy. That thread/explanation just shows the problem. I watch stuff streamed to my 360 exclusively now at this point because the PS3 just can't handle them. I am pretty tech savvy, but even I don't wanna deal with that. It's gotta be dead simple for the mass public to use that. The 360 seems to be the best choice at this point, but Apple TV might not be too far behind. Make it simple, make it organized and it will catch on...

I AM GETTING ONE OF THESE BAD BOYS! And I have the most perfect spot to put it!

keyboard.jpg

Right on the keyboard baby! OH YEAH!!!

You could send one to colorware if you don't feel like importing.

It really isn't. Anyway, I checked your sig as I wanted to know how to play HD vids on my PS3, but that is crazy. That thread/explanation just shows the problem. I watch stuff streamed to my 360 exclusively now at this point because the PS3 just can't handle them. I am pretty tech savvy, but even I don't wanna deal with that. It's gotta be dead simple for the mass public to use that. The 360 seems to be the best choice at this point, but Apple TV might not be too far behind. Make it simple, make it organized and it will catch on...

The 360 is worse than the PS3 for native HD/MKV support mate. It doesn't support VOB which is currently turning out to be the best container for HD content.

The streamed stuff you watch do you use TVersity? If so what is happening is your MKV file is being transcoded to a format the 360 can play (likely to be MP4/MPG/WMV) = quality loss. Just like converting a 128 M4A file to a 128 MP3 file, there is a loss in quality.

You'll find the guide I made is so that people can natively play HD content on the PS3 without transcoding and allowing you to retain TRUE 5.1 Dolby Digitial/DTS audio. All you are doing is taking the video & audio portions in the MKV and repackaging them in VOB.

A lot of people may not care, but there are some who despise transcoding and may have expensive sound systems they want 5.1 sound through.

Edited by Audioboxer

I've got to say that white ps3 looks awful. I think everything about the ps3 just suits the piano black look, not to mention it suits my piano black TV, very sexy

Ironically, it makes black piano's look ****!

Who knew ;)

I'll be first to admit I clean mine too :blush: :cool:

All the cool kids are doing it, don't you know!

What do you use to clean it with?

I like my controllers as if they just came from China - non-greased ^^