Secure wireless connection can not be maintained...

Working on a friend's network. Tried WEP, WAP and WAP2 but all of them cause disconnects, issues with connecting to the router and also serious slowdown. I've also tried enabling the connection without the use of Linksys Network Monitor app (uninstalled and then only installed drivers)

But if we try to connect to the router without security enabled, the connection works perfectly. Not sure how to fix the issue. Latest drivers and firmware are being used - both of which hasn't been updated in a long time

Not sure what your doing but I assure you WAP2 does not cause any slow down in the network.. Since the AES encryption/decryption is performed by the card, etc.

Are you running G or N? What hardware are you working with? What are the model numbers!

If all of the hardware that will be using the network supports WPA, then there would NO point to using WEP -- since it is outdated an hackable in minutes by any 10 year old script kiddie that knows how to use google.

Again -- what is the exact hardware your working with, both on the router side an the card side.. An what OS is used on the client? XP sp2?, Vista?

There is signal degradation and thats why the speeds are lower. I can assure you that this is isolated to whenever a secure connection is used - regardless of whether its wep or wap. I'm not saying adding security should affect speeds - I'm just saying that signal is worse when its on causing speeds to lower

Router is a version 5

Card is 1.1

Both are G and running XP SP2

There would not be any signal degradation when using encryption - the signal strength has NOTHING to do with what encryption is being used..

If you have an issue with the signal strength.. I would suggest you put 3rd party firmware on the router an up the power. dd-wrt will allow you to adjust the power output. An the wrt54g and gs v5 are supported.

I read through the steps - it's not my router so I don't feel like taking the chance of bricking the router as it's not a simple flash.

Also, I think you're assuming that I'm thinking it's something to do with a secure setup itself. I'm saying the router/card has issues with secured signals. I've never experienced a similar issue on my network or others I've set up. I just know that when it's switch to secure that the router/card has a lot trouble communicating with each other and the symptoms are the ones I list. It could just be that the router version is as terrible as I've read. But I do know, that this isn't the norm and that's why I'm trying to figure out what is going on as it makes no sense to me

Ok, lets see if we can narrow it down to what piece of hardware is causing problems. Try this (if you have the hardware) and let us know the results.

-Your current card with a different router.

-Your current router with a different card.

Since Encryption is the problem keep that turned on.

Its a very simple flash -- I have done it atleast 10 times on that specific model, an never had any issues. Other than making sure you change the mac address.. or your ISP might not connect if you use the default one that comes in the bios. Sure there are a couple of extra steps, ie its not as simple picking a file from the webinterface an clicking go.. But nothing even a retarded monkey on crack could not figure out ;)

An how is it you know its not the router -- do other cards work fine?

If so -- then return the card, its that freaking simple. There is nothing to do if the router works fine with another card.. its not rocket science..

There is no magic you need to learn, there is not magic setting you need to tweak. You install the driver for the card, an make the connection.. If your saying its not working when you turn on WPA -- which uses the card to encrypt/decrypt -- then return the card an get a new one.

Yup those are the instructions

http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow...?WRT54G5_CFE#h9

You use the webinterface to upload 2 firmwares.

Then use tftp to upload the dd-wrt

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v23_micro_generic.bin

How is that hard?? How is it you feel that its more likely to brick anything? The only time I came close to bricking a router was when I in a rush pushed the wrong firmware.. But was easy enough to recover, shorted 2 pins -- flashed the corrrect firmware an back in business ;)

I have flashed hundreds of them mind you, many different brands an model numbers.

As already mentioned by S7 -- I would verify one way or the other if its the card, or the router.. Use a different card, if it has the same issues then return the router. If it works fine, then return the card you having issues with.

If its not the router -- then do yourself a favor an update to dd-wrt.

Router flash was as painless as you said it would be - wish I would have done it when I was over his place. Anyway, I had a "excellent" signal throughout my apartment and never had a single drop in my connection. Now I'll have to see what happens when he sets it up at his place

So you were using WPA or WPA2 I would assume for testing. With a different card I also assume.

I told you it was painless update -- when have I ever steered you wrong? ;) Did you up the power output at your place? Or was it strong without it?

Yeah yeah :) I just was cautious since it seemed more involved than just a straight flash. I don't mind taking the chance on my stuff but not on others. I made sure that I wouldn't be responsible for the cost of the router if something went wrong

I up'd xmit to 70. I was a getting a very good signal before making the change then excellent with the change regardless of where I was in my apartment. Figured it'll be a good idea to change the default as he also has problems with the signal strength even though there isn't that much distance between the router and the pc. Should be interesting to hear his results

I used my laptop to connect to the router so if there are problems at his place then its the card that's the issue. And I did use WPA for testing.

Well, that failed miserably. Looks like it might be the card but it doesn't make much sense to me. He can connect to a unprotected router in another apartment but can't connect to his. So it isn't the router or the pc. Does it make sense that the card may be defective and doesn't work properly with secured connections? Otherwise, I'm not sure what to think

Sure sounds like the card to me -- you connected to the router just fine using WPA.

Are you using TKIP or AES? AES is performed on the card, ie hardware. TKIP in software, so it could be something other than the card.. But if using AES then points more to the card.

WPA using tkip with MIC, WPA2 uses AES an CCMP

Since you have not gone into details of what exact encryption you have tried... When you were trying WPA2 did you set it to tkip+aes mode or something. Or just straight AES?

Sorry - I didn't mess around with it a lot when I had the router since it worked just fine for me - WPA Personal - TKIP. I got him to order a network card with a cable between the card and the antenna - hopefully that fixes the problems

• 1 month later...

Over a month later and we finally got this working properly. Looks like the corner he had his pc in was not helping things. The third card we went with is actually working perfectly now. I'm pretty sure it had to do with the fact that the antenna wasn't stuck on the back of the card. Had a cable connected between the card and the antenna so I was able to place the antenna on the desk away from that area

Edited by AndyD