Cairo, a new shell for Windows

Question

Explorer_Desktop_M1.jpg

Throughout the development process we will be releasing milestones, alphas, betas, and release candidates—milestones marking the furthest from completion and release candidate the closest.

The UI in this image represents a Milestone 1 UI, meaning that we have begun taking all of our UI work and consolidating it towards a final interface. Like Microsoft or Apple, this UI may evolve substantially over the course of its development.

The alpha available soon will be a Milestone 1 release, meaning it will mark the first leap towards getting Cairo out into the world. The UI milestones are not necessarily going to coincide with the release milestones.

Questions, comments, criticisms welcome.

-Cairo Team

http://cairoshell.com/2008/02/04/milestone-1-ui-concept/

Edited by Slimy

Looks like a combination of items and style queues from Ubuntu and OS X. It's nice and smooth but I can clearly see the navigational elements and icon coming from other operating systems. For daily use I can see this being much better but as a user of Mac and Ubuntu let me be the first to say that design elements have finally fused into one mainstream visual representation.

Very nicely done.

Scirwode