Computer problems

Ok, so my friend's computer has been going a lil weird lately. So he got a new motherboard last year for it (it's a P4, 512mb ram, XP), and his hard drive fried randomly last month. So I lent him an old 5gb (lol) so he could at least use a computer till he got the money to get a new one. Now, a few weeks later he puts in a new hard drive, and 2 days after his computer stops working. I haven't looked at it yet but he said he's taken everything out that's not needed (hard drive, DVD drive, etc) and it still does the same thing (so we assume it's not the new SATA hard drive).

I'm curious as to whether it's possibly the power supply that's frying everything. It doesn't make sense, frying one motherboard is understandable, I mean, things break. But then later a hard drive, and now something else.

Any ideas as to what we could do?

Your really going to need to go into more detail on this part !

He called me up and just said it stopped working. Nothing on the screen, but the fans spin. That's all.

Not sure what kind it is, it's not my computer but I'll get more info on that.

So is it safe to assume he'll probably need a new one as well? I think he's gonna get a diagnosis on it to make sure, and then he'll go from there.

Thanks.