Upgrading Vista RTM to SP1

That's right....I have done it legit. I have been part of the beta team since longhorn started and have been using vista since day one. But enough of that.

I liked that Microsoft offered us the rtm bits to us on connect the other day and spent the last few hours upgrading my two machines. I did all the usual stuff to prep a machine....backup everything important, create a restore point, have my important cds/dvds handy just incase.

I decided to use both ways of upgrading just to see what the differences were. It was an experience with both. My desktop was upgraded using the dvd iso and my laptop was upgraded using WU.

Desktop

Dell XPS 410

Intel C2D 2.13 ghz

3 GB ram

2x 320 gb hd

Vista Ultimate

This one was done using the dvd iso path. I popped in the dvd and let it go. Agreeded to the terms and the install started. It did about 4 restarts and took about 45 minutes. Things I noticed:

1. I needed to reactive: Clicked on it to reactive and it did so no problem. Not sure why, but it went through no problem.
  2. File copy/transfers are much quicker. This goes for local and network also.
  3. Startup/shutdown/restart all seem a bit quicker
  4. All my programs still work.
  5. Memory useage is way down. With RTM build, I had 61 processes at startup using between 45-50% of my ram. Now at startup it is using 37%.

Laptop

Lenovo Thinkpad T61

Intel C2D t6500 2.2 ghz

1 gb ram

100 gb hd

Vista Home Premium

Updated using the wired 10/100 nic rather than the wireless

This one was done using WU. I know that when sp1 is pushed out to the masses you won't have to jump through the hoops to get it downloaded and installed. I hated that I had to download the cmd process, download the wu kb files, and then wait for wu to find sp1. After all of that, which took a good 25 minutes, then I still had to download sp1 and install it. It took around 35 minutes to download the service pack and another 40 minutes to install it. Overall a good 2 hours to get the laptop updated. I did cheat a little though in that I choose to use the wired nic to download everything and install. I wanted as quick of an experience as possible.

Thing I noticed on the laptop:

1. Again I had to reactive the computer. Is this a feature or a bug? It happens on both types of installs. I know it did this during the beta cycle, but one would think they would get rid of this now.
  2. Again, every program I use on this computer works. Who could ask for anything better.
  3. It's been running on the battery alone now and seems to be running a bit longer. Wishful thinking...who knows?

Final thoughts

I know that as I continue to use sp1 over the coming days/weeks/months I will find more quirks, likes, dislikes. But on the durface so far I like it. I has definately come a long way since the beta started many months ago.

Thing I noticed on the laptop:

1. Again I had to reactive the computer. Is this a feature or a bug?

I didn't have to reactivate.

What "RTM" build are you referring to?

He's talking about the RTM of Vista, not the RTM of Service Pack 1.

What "RTM" build are you referring to? The latest Refresh 2 is the SP1 build.

Actually no. The rtm build of sp1 was posted to connect on feb 6.

Picture

Maybe it wasn't offered to everyone. I don't toot my own horn all that often but I do a lot for them. Maybe it was a reward?

Edited by TechMedik

• 4 weeks later...

I've got my SP1 RTM via WU, but this only happened after I unintsalled SP1 RC2, made an image of my C: drive, and the entire procedure went smoothly.

Seems solid and quick file transfer but memory usage is the same, maybe because I'm on 64bit

Man wish I could download this now is it available to public yet?

No you don't. On a new Dell XPS (Clean Pre-built Dell image)....

SP1 really messed it up and had to reload Windows 1st, then SP1, then all the drivers and some of the software.

Now on my PC it worked as expected.

No you don't. On a new Dell XPS (Clean Pre-built Dell image)....

SP1 really messed it up and had to reload Windows 1st, then SP1, then all the drivers and some of the software.

Now on my PC it worked as expected.

Well on my xps system using the slipstreamed sp1 dvd that was given to us by microsoft on connect, I was able to install vista on it with no problems at all. Everything installed just fine in a little over 25 minutes from 1st screento desktop.

I am very pleased with how sp1 is doing so far.