Livestation

I have been watching world news on Livestation for a week now and I have become confident that Livestation is definetly awesome, even beta stage. I have installed it experienced no problems at all. It is running smoothly even when running other software such as IE7, Office 2007, WLM 9.0, etc and I have not seen any loss in system performance.

My system:

Intel Centrino Solo M 1.74 Ghz

1.00 GB RAM

100 GB HDD

ATI Radeon X600 Mobile

Windows Vista Business

However, Livestation only has 4 channels at the moment, and plans to add much more according to their website. Current websites are:

- BBC World

- BBC Radio

- Al-Jazeera (English)

- France 24 (English)

If you are wondering about RAM usage, Livestation uses between 32-38mb of RAM, and evens out at 35mb when running Office 2007, IE7, WLM and Windows Calendar... most of these programs use significantly higher ram than Livestation.

When it comes to Livestation performance, there are usually buffering and graphic delays when you first start it up, but once the connection is established, its very clear and high quality, better than YouTube videos.

If anyone else uses Livestation, please write your own review in this post of your own experiences.

post-183823-1202847207_thumb.jpg

I got into the trial yesterday, and so far, I'm pretty impressed.

It runs smoothly on my laptop:

AMD Athlon Mobile 2.4GHz

1.25GB Ram

100GB HD

and so far, it rarely gives stuttering video, only 3 or 4 times so far, even on my crappy reduced speed connection. I have the following channels:

BBC News

BBC World Service

Sky News

Al Jazeera

BBC Radio 24

Bloomberg

Euronews (in Eng and Fr)

France 24 (in Eng and Fr)

Screenshots available here

I got the trial yesterday as well, not bad and it runs smooth without a stutter but the video quality is pretty crappy, but I'm sure that will improve as I hope they can at least match the level of quality of Joost, still it has promise :)

and so far, it rarely gives stuttering video, only 3 or 4 times so far, even on my crappy reduced speed connection. I have the following channels:

BBC News

BBC World Service

Sky News

Al Jazeera

BBC Radio 24

Bloomberg

Euronews (in Eng and Fr)

France 24 (in Eng and Fr)

Screenshots available here

Im curious as how u got those additional channels. I am looking forward to watching Euronews and Sky News however I cant seem to find them :(

Maybe a country specific thing? I'm in the UK.

odd, because when I downloaded it, I thought it was universal since it didnt ask for a UK version or US or anything. I believe they should actually make it universal, because I really want Hayat as one of my channels :p

im on the beta as well and ive only looked at Sky News so far but the image is really clear :) much better than the other tv streaming program (cant remember the name)

Livestation = the FAIL!

Joost = For The Win!

While I'm sure that Livestation will try to catch-up with Joost in the future, Joost's quality and provided content are far and away better than Livestation, and that Livestation will have a very long way to go to equal what Joost offers now.

In other words: Joost is so far ahead of Livestation that I can't see Livestation equalling what Joost offers at any given time.

--ScottKin

of course Joost is ahead its been out long and had more time to get the service up and running, Joost was buggy in the beta as well dont forget

I just got my invite last night, and was wondering if anyone here was using it yet.

You can now enjoy Livestation. Your contribution during this trial

is hugely important to us and greatly appreciated.

This is pre-release software, so there may still be some bugs and

glitches. If you find any problems or have any feedback about any aspect of

the service, please notify us via 'My Livestation' on the website

or directly from the player. Your feedback is very important to us

as it will help us to provide the best possible viewing experience.

We recommend that you only install the application if you are comfortable

using pre-release software and only install it in a non-critical environment

where you have permission to do so. You can install Livestation on up

to five computers (either at home or work) using the same username and password.

• 1 month later...

So far I'm loving it better than Joost. I'm in the trial , so if you want an invite then PM me .

Ah, this forum is back. After a month I have to say that I am disappointed. There was an update, but no additional channels were added.

So far I'm loving it better than Joost. I'm in the trial , so if you want an invite then PM me .

How could you possibly love it more than Joost? Even if you are content limited on Joost, the sheer amount of stuff on Joost just blows away Livestation at this point - both in quantity and quality. Why exactly do you love Livestation over Joost?

Ah, this forum is back. After a month I have to say that I am disappointed. There was an update, but no additional channels were added.

Yeah, I'm still stuck on the same 5 or so channels also. I wish I could get Bloomberg on there, would be a nice one to watch on my PC :)

I'm using Livestation and find it pretty good but the lack of channels for US viewers is disappointing. They're promising more soon so ... I'm eager to know what we'll get. I suspect the legalities of broadcast rights are difficult and complicated.

In the meantime a proxy server in Europe works nicely :) I got the cheapest Virtual Private Server I could find in Europe ($7.50 per month) and I'm using it as a proxy via ssh and putty. I now get BBC World, EuroNews, Bloomberg, Sky and i>T?l?. I can drop the proxy and go direct after the initial connection for about ten minutes. There must be some regular check that my IP number is permitted to watch the channel I'm watching.

All the channels work well except BBC World is often a bit broken up. I'm curious to know if any genuine European users have any problems with BBC World.

I've got 10 invites so PM me if you want one.

How could you possibly love it more than Joost? Even if you are content limited on Joost, the sheer amount of stuff on Joost just blows away Livestation at this point - both in quantity and quality. Why exactly do you love Livestation over Joost?

Why am i loving it more than joost ? Simple. I'm a news ###### and Livestation got everytthing I need ( EuroNews, BBC, France 24 ... ) and Joost doesn't ( last time I checked anyway ).

I just had a look at Joost.com. They've obviously come a long way since I last looked but as far as I can see, they don't have any live TV channels at all do they? There is definitely a need for both live and canned shows.

Livestation's more direct competition, at least in Europe, is Zattoo. They're actually a US company but haven't been able to launch the service in the US yet. I think it's the difficulty of negotiating broadcast rights. It's obviously easier in Europe.

I hope Livestation can add CNN International. That's another good channel that is unavailable in the US.

Just signed up. Wonder how long an invite will take to get.

Mine took a few months but I can send you an invite today if you like. They're doing a "Invite a friend" type thing like Gmail did. I have 10. I don't know if they get replenished if I give them away. You'll have to PM me with your email address if you want one.