Vista: "Configuring updates 3 of 3; Shutting down; Configuring upda..&

I recently used windows update on Vista on my Toshiba U300-11V laptop, and it is stuck in a loop whenever I turn it on, going from "configuring updates 3 of 3: 0%", to "shutting down..." then when it restarts the process begins again.

Any ideas how to fix this or at least start Windows fully?

I tried safe mode however this still attempts to configure updates before entering windows.

... same problem. HPDV6xxx laptop, today's Windows update. Saw several posts on this in the SP1 beta section of the Technet boards, but no solutions.

Have been trying to find a file or dir to rename to stop the update, no success yet.

-=\SF/=-

:angry: I am having all the exact same things happen to me on my Ausus G1 laptop using vista premium. You cant run in safe mode or anything just keeps booting and shutting back down OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER and it will not stop. This is really making me mad because i need my laptop for school and i cant go through this kinda $h!t. I have no ideas what to do because i cant even go into safe mode because it will keep trying to configure this crappy update that windows let out for some VERY odd reason.

reformat? idk i havent gottten that update loop yet or if i have it fixed its self.... but i always got a dual boot with xp so if that happens i could switch back to xp like millions have already done

I have a similar problem. I updated vista on 2/12 and it was stuck on a endless loop of restart. I went in safe mode and restored to and earlier date and then uninstalled the the recent updates. I am going to wait till it's all fixed before updating again.

my installation didn't get "stuck" i did the the whole configuring updates 1,2,3 of 3 thing and restarted maybe 4-6 times.

i didn't exactly count how many times or for how long but it was longer than i expected.

i did have a fully updated installation before sp1, i didn't check if i had the 3 or so prerequisite hotfixes

this was on a semi unstable overclocked pc (not 100% 3d game stable).

apart from hardware specs, i can't really think of anything else that should differentiate my sp1 install experience.

i found that my beta nvidia driver was uninstalled, vista glazz (3rd themes) disabled, can't think of anything else.

This happened to me as well, however, after a couple of restarts it was working fine. I thought my machine was just been dodgey as usual, guess it wasn't (this time) :laugh:

I wish I could say the same. After leaving my mother's laptop on for a day and having it restart every 5 minutes or so, it's still stuck. Anyone know specifically which file is doing the update so I can remove it?

It sounds like an update has got stuck

To fix this you need a Vista DVD to boot from (If not use this Vista Recovery CD Avilabale from here... http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/ )

Once you have booted up with the Vista DVD / Recovery Disc

Hit Repair Options and select command prompt

Now type in

C:

cd Windows\WinSXS

del pending.xml

This should fix it.

Regards

bOing

To fix this you need a Vista DVD to boot from (If not use this Vista Recovery CD Avilabale from here... http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/ )

Now type in

C:

cd Windows\WinSXS

del pending.xml

This should fix it.

Regards

bOing

Sorted! Thanks bOing, you are a star! That worked perfectly.

Wife's laptop has now been set up with restore points and I've disabled autoupdate on her machine

The restore point worked for me. I was trying to delete the pending file but Knoppix was being a bi... so I just press Alt + [Random F-Key] until I found the one that got into the recovery partition on my mom's laptop and did the restore (Was either 8 10 or 11 haha) . Either way should work though.

• 9 months later...

Now type in

C:

cd Windows\WinSXS

del pending.xml

This one worked first GO. Boot disk commnad prompt c: cd cindows cd winsxs and del pendingf.xls

This should fix it.

Regards

bOing

When i got my Toshiba Laptop first thing i did i booted from GPart Linux CD, and deleted all partitions including stupid Toshiba Volume. Then i took retail copy of Vista x64 Edition and did clean installation. Then i went to original manufacturer sites and download drivers for my ATI video card in it etc. It runs great.

OEM installation setup is unbeliavable crap.