Strange folder on C:

Am currently reformatting my system. Installed Vista RTM, then immediately installed SP1 RTM.

Both of the installations were successful and I'm now running Vista SP1.

However, since installing SP1, I have a folder in the root of my C: drive with a random, system generated name. Inside this folder are files that appear to be related to the SP.

I gather this folder is temporary. I ran the Vsp1cln utility which removed about 1.5Gb of old files, but this folder remained.

Am I 100% safe to delete the folder? For now, I've just hidden it as it looks a mess.. :p

I can't tell you the name of the folder exactly, as I'm on a different PC currently, but it's something like this:

"a6ee28c62392d12fcf924e7d6056cd"

Thanks.

It's, most likely, just the temp folder that Windows uses to install the service pack. You should look in the directory and see what exactly it is there for though. :p

I have SP1 installed and that folder isn't there, so I would look in it just to make sure of what it is.

I'll post exactly what's in there as soon as I can (probably 5 hours).

I wonder why the folder didn't get deleted after the install, as I had previouslly installed SP1 before I refomatted to test stuff was compatible etc, and there were no left overs :)

Some times those folders get left over, if you have already rebooted an the folder is still there -- should be good to delete. Issue I have seen is sometimes the permissions on the folder do not allow you to delete. So you would have to take ownership, assign the permissions that would allow you to delete it, etc.

^Cheers :)

I have rebooted a couple of times, and it's remained. I'll delete it when I'm back on the PC later. Just wanted to ensure it was actually safe to delete before I went ahead (Y)

Ok, the folder is called: "ad1409539eab4ae67b34c665edd8"

Inside the folder is as follows:

<dir> de-de --> spinstall.exe.mui, spwizui.dll

<dir> en-us --> spinstall.exe.mui, spwizui.dll

<dir> es-es --> spinstall.exe.mui, spwizui.dll

<dir> eula --> <dir> en-us --> license_addendum_1.rtf

<dir> fr-fr --> spinstall.exe.mui, spwizui.dll

<dir> ja-jp --> spinstall.exe.mui, spwizui.dll

<dir> readme --> <dir> en-us --> readmesp.html

spinstall.exe

spreview.exe

spwizui.dll

37632558pv4.jpg

So, I guess I'm safe to delete it it seems.

Yeah its clearly left over from an sp/update install.. As to taking an image of the whole drive before deleting a clearly temp dir for a install. WTF?? Worse case do not empty the recycle bin -- or copy it off to some other location, if your really worried. But a full blown image of the whole OS install partition.. Thats a bit much ;)

I've experienced this before. Sometimes you don't have permission to delete it and if that's the case I would boot up a Linux live cd and try and delete it from there.

^ :blink: Or as I already stated just take ownership and assign the correct permissions.. If you have an admin account on the box you can set whatever permissions you need/want on any dir or file.. No need to boot a freaking LiveCD an use another OS to delete a file just because you do not have permission to it..

If your an admin you can take ownership of anything.. an then assign the proper permissions.