[Urgent] Help with Static IPs

Hi guys,

I'm trying to set up a home network. It was already set up but I did something wrong and screwed everything. So basically, I'm back to square one, where the only way to access the internet is to set everything to 'Automatically obtain IP address' ... and it's working fine. But I need to set an IP for every system on the network myself, for port forwarding and other reasons.

Now basically the network is set up like this:

Net .... Cable Modem .... Linksys Router (192.168.1.1) .... PC1 / PC2 / Wireless Linksys Router setup as WAP (192.168.1.2) which directs to a Macbook.

Now for some reason, I was able to setup the IP for PC1 to 192.168.1.100 through Windows, whilst the settings on the router where still to Obtain Automatically. The problem occured when I tried to use the same settings I used on Windows, on the router (default gateway right?). At this point I will loose connection once again. Just to make things clearer, I can still access the network, but not the internet.

So, my target is to setup like this:

PC1 - 192.168.1.100

PC2 - 192.168.1.101

Macbook - 192.168.1.102

with the WAP being 192.168.1.2, so that I can access wireless connection on the Macbook. Once again, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, since before it used to work this same way. Anyways, that's why I'm asking for help.

Thanks in advance guys.

Daniel.

... and a screenshot of the settings so that it will be easier for you to diagnose.

omgag4.jpg

Edited by Daninku

in the screenshot on the right, all you did was prevent your router from getting an IP from the cable modem.. that has nothing to do with static IP's on your internal network. Set that back to Obtain IP automatically.

in the screenshot on the right, all you did was prevent your router from getting an IP from the cable modem.. that has nothing to do with static IP's on your internal network. Set that back to Obtain IP automatically.

Oh, I see. I thought it was set up to Static IP before :p My mistake then :p Going to set up the others as well.

... how come the Macbook has the same IP as PC1? I mean, 192.168.1.100

The only reason I can think of is the WAP it's connecting to. It's working fine, but I'm just asking, since there can't be two systems using the same Ip over a network, am I right?

... how come the Macbook has the same IP as PC1? I mean, 192.168.1.100

The only reason I can think of is the WAP it's connecting to. It's working fine, but I'm just asking, since there can't be two systems using the same Ip over a network, am I right?

Make sure to completely disable DHCP on the secondary router. Other than that, there's no reason that you should have identical IP's if you're manually entering them as static IP's unless you're setting them both up the same yourself.

Um "with the WAP being 192.168.1.2"

WTF does the AP's interfaces IP have to do with a wireless device accessing the internet??? If you are using it as an accesspoint it just bridges your wireless network to your wired.. it does not routing or nat. Its IP address has nothing to do with anything, just so you can access its web interface is all -- an that it does not conflict with other IPs on your network.

I think maybe your not using it as an access point -- but just double natting? With 192.168.1.x on both sides??

Here is how you use a wireless router as an accesspoint

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/wireless-...cess-point.html

As stated you would turn off the device being used as an accesspoint dhcp server.

There is no reason to use static IPs for port forwarding -- as long as you understand that if the IP changes for some reason the port forward would no longer work, or send the traffic to the wrong machine.. If your wired machines are on all the time, their IPs should never change.. If you only have 1 wireless machine -- it too should always get the same IP from your dhcp scope.

if your dchp server does not allow you to set reservations for machines so they ALWAYS get the same IP address, then you need need to make your statics outside your scope.. Ie if your dhpc scope is 100 to 150, then make yours statics say 99, 98, .97 etc..

If you set a static to .100, you have to make sure your dhcp server will not hand out this address.. change its scope to .101 to .150, etc.