Create a multi boot rescue USB flash drive

Hey guys, that tutorial was awesome, my flash is booting at almost all computers, but I thing there's some problem with grub4dos or mbr record. On computers where it works is showing before going to grub message like "Try hd(0,0) fat32" and then grub normaly shows up. But on some computers it doesn't and jump right to WinPE or grub on HDD for instaled OS. Don't you know where is problem? Maybe i'll try ext2 partition and normal linux grub but i'd rather like this "all in one partiotion" solution.

I get that too sometimes, however, on the machines i did get that on, i have designed a slightly updated version of Si's guide.

Install pendrivelinux USB software to the drive. This uses syslinux as the boot method and then chainloads GRUB. So you can still do your menu.lst entries in the same way, but your actually using syslinux as the boot peramiter for the USB.

The good thing about this method also, is that you can then boot .iso files too instead of having them extracted to the drive.

No problem, i wasnt very clear in my post.

You need to download and run the following file:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/MultiBootISOs/MultiBootISOs.exe

This will install syslinux to your USB drives boot sector and then try booting from the USB device on one of the machines that didnt work before. It should now work (possibly).

Let us know if it worked or not and we can try other things if need be.

I was working on same thing manualy but this utility is more comfortable. I tried to boot and now it boots ok to syslinux, then chainloads to grub.exe, but promlem is that grub is looking for menu.lst everywhere and it take grub from hdd, so I have to try google something to change it.. if you have and idea, pls tell me.

It's weird because that usb with grub shoud be hd(0,0) in that moment and grub should look at usb first but it tooks menu.lst from hdd..

Sounds like the Syslinux config file is set incorrectly. Ensure that THAT one has the correct perameters.

Otherwise, my only other suggestion would be to wipe the USB device, install that application and THEN install all your menu.lst perams etc.

syslinux IMHO set correctly because it loads grub.exe.. but grub.exe doesn't load menu.lst from flash.. sounds like computer does'n see usb as hd(0,0).. i'll try wipe that flash.

syslinux IMHO set correctly because it loads grub.exe.. but grub.exe doesn't load menu.lst from flash.. sounds like computer does'n see usb as hd(0,0).. i'll try wipe that flash.

Let me know if that worked.

It may be that you have to set the exact file locations in syslinux. So instead of just simply calling grub.exe in syslinux, maybe actually tell it to call and use grub.exe on a usb location of hd(0,0)?

I tried to wipe usb but it didn't help.. So its' workning only on some computers.. maybe some day when i will have time a'll try one linux partition for grub and fat32 partition for data

I tried to wipe usb but it didn't help.. So its' workning only on some computers.. maybe some day when i will have time a'll try one linux partition for grub and fat32 partition for data

To be completely honest... I still find some work with mine and others dont... There doesnt sto be any rhym or reason to it...

I have spend the past few days searching around for ways to get this working and now have a completely new USB stick of tools. However, i no longer use Grub4dos, but Grub itself. Plus, i dont ahve ANY extracted .ISO files on the device any more. I ahve all the .ISOs in one folder and boot the .ISOs directly by mapping through grub.

I find this is, for one thing, tidier on the key and easier\les confusing than the old method in your tutorial.

For that reason, would you mind if i wrote a new guide on this, using the mothod to use Grub and boot the .isos directly?

:|

Please do tell! That's like the holy grail or something :D

• 1 month later...

<snip>

The guide was great though, so thanks!

Edited by Rob2687
Snipped for link to illegal/unlicensed software

• 7 months later...

I DOWNLOADED NTPASSWD AND USED FOR FIRST TIME IT RUN FINE.

THANKX A LOT FOR SUCH A NICE HELP.

PLEASE HELP IN MAKING PE ON CD.

PLEASE TEACH ME STEP BY STEP.

THANKX A LOT

This is for your post:

orig-11229041.jpg

and this is for your Sig:

15may27-caps-lock.jpg