Age of Empires 2

I recently loaded Age of Empires 2 on my PC for old times sake. I guess its bugged or something now though, in all my games it automaticly scrolls the mouse up to the top of the map. If i try to edge scroll on the sreen it dont work, if i click in the minimap it takes me to where i clicked and then auto scrolls back to the top of the screen. It does this in vanilla AoE, AoE with the expansion installed, AoE after i patched it, and the expansion after i patched it.

Problem presents in both campaign and in skirmish.

Any tips?

I'm thinking I had this issue years ago but I'm not sure if I'm remembering it correctly. I think I re-installed it and it fixed.

Either way AoE2: The Conquerors is easily one of my favorite games of all time. I'm sure I've spent over 500 hours playing it online.

Oddly enough I remember this happening the last time I fired up AOE2: Conquerors but I don't recall finding a solution (I think I just gave up). Like mentioned above, I'd try a re-install if not already done. :yes:

I also remember something like this, but can't recollect the details.

But AOE II was the best :) AOE III may have good graphics but terrible stories.

I remember having this as well. Too bad my copy of AOE II was damaged, I used to love creating maps and playing as Joan of Arc :cry: !

Scirwode

• 4 months later...

To Fix: (pasted from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830651/en-us go here for video links of how to do this)

"Restart the computer by using a clean boot procedure

When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are a number of programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean boot, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

To restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure, follow these steps if you are using Microsoft Windows XP:

Note You may experience a temporary loss of some services functionality when you follow these steps. Restoring the settings restores the functionality, but the original error message or behavior may return as a result.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.

3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

4. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:

? Process SYSTEM.INI File

? Process WIN.INI File

? Load Startup Items

5. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

6. Click OK, and then click Restart."

Hi I just joined cuz I have been searching for over 6+hrs to try and resolve this exact issue, and have finally succeeded:D33; :D I know this thread is old but was the only one I've found on the web with someone addressing the same problem I was having. I had reinstalled a few times and had updated both AoE2 and expansion and my vid drivers etc and nothing worked, still would just scroll up no matter what settings where changed or what mode of play. (note: game ran fine otherwise) Ended up doing a clean boot and it worked just fine! Im running XP Sp2 with Geforce 6800 not sure if that had something to do with it (the nvidia control panel/drivers etc) Hopefully this will help anyone else looking to play some good ole' AoE2 on newer systems/vid cards since the game is still worth it:D33; :D (i wanted to be able to play lan games with my buddies again, ftw!)

Great Game!

I bought the Age Of Empires Collector's Edition few days ago. It was on "fast sale" for only 10$. It features Age Of Empires, Age Of Empires: Rome, Age Of Empires 2 The Age Of Kings and Age Of Empires The Conquerors.