[PHP/Ajax] ComboBox "SelectedItem change" event

Question

You could go with an AJAX solution or just JS. If you want to do AJAX, it'll require downloading the content as the options are selected; with just JS, all the HTML will be loaded and displayed accordingly using CSS (initially).

For JS, based on the selected item, you would display a specific div while hiding the other ones.

Are you using a JS framework?

4 answers to this question

I'm not using JS framework.....

but I think I little figure out how it will look like, but the code still doesn't work :(

<Option VALUE="Item3" onChange="Show();">3</option>

Where Show() is a JS function defined, I don't know how to deal with a combobox throught the function, how could I tell it:

If cboAct.Selecteditem = "Item3" then MyDiv.visible = false ........ something like that

I still didn't tested if onChange event works with each item not for the entire combobox.

Thanks all for your help, I managed to do it finally, It will be as follows :)

&lt;script language="JavaScript"&gt;&lt;!--
function T1(object) {
if (object == "Item3")
	{
	document.getElementById('myId').style.visibility = 'visible';
	}
	else
	{
	document.getElementById('myId').style.visibility = 'hidden';
	}
}
//--&gt;&lt;/script&gt;

"myId" is an ID of the div, I can put in it whatever I want (e.g. textbox, button) , it's like a panel for child controls, so once it's hidden, all childs will be hidden as well.

&lt;Select NAME="cboAct" onChange="T1(this.value);" style="width:200px;"&gt;

T1 is function and "this.value" gets the current selected item.

Thanks again

When a <select> option is chosen then strictly the value property of the <select> isn't assigned (but might be to allow for "shorthand" script such as yours) but the selectedIndex property is. You then interrogate the options object in the <select> to get the value (or text) of the actual selected option.

That code looks like something a IE-centric IDE would spew out BTW...

&lt;script type="text/javascript"&gt;
function showPanel(sel){
	var el=document.getElementById('myId');
	el.style.visibility=(sel.options[sel.selectedIndex].value=='Item3')?'visible':'hidden';
}

&lt;select name="cboAct" style="width:200px;" onchange="showPanel(this);"&gt;
	&lt;option value="Item1"&gt;1&lt;/option&gt;
	&lt;option value="Item2"&gt;2&lt;/option&gt;
	&lt;option value="Item3"&gt;3&lt;/option&gt;
 &lt;/select&gt;

FWIW: <select />s aren't comboboxes. Comboboxes are extended <select />s that allow a text entry as well as selecting from a list (the dynamic Google search is a commo example). The Microsoft (and others) terminology for a <select> is "dropdown".