UFC Hall-of-Famer Mark Coleman vs. Brock Lesnar Set for August

Mark Coleman?s (15-8 MMA, 6-3 UFC) induction into the UFC Hall of Fame came with an interesting footnote: he?s returning to the UFC to fight Brock Lesnar (1-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) in August.

Just a few hours after the former Ohio State national wrestling champion and first-ever UFC heavyweight title-holder became the fifth fighter inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame, the 43-year-old fighter confirmed the bout to a sold-out crowd and pay-per-view audience.

Saturday?s UFC 82 event took place at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

No exact date or location has been announced for the looming heavyweight fight.

?He?s a beast; he?s an animal,? Coleman said. ?But I plan to find a way to beat his ? I promised my mom I wouldn?t cuss ? to beat his butt.?

Coleman, who was the tournament winner at UFC 10 and 11 before staking claim to the first-ever heavyweight title at UFC 12, hasn?t fought since an October 2006 submission loss to Fedor Emelianenko at PRIDE 32. The Columbus native hasn?t fought in the octagon since UFC 18, which took place more than nine years ago.

Earlier this month, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported Coleman?s pending induction into the hall. It was believed to be the ending to a remarkable career, not the beginning of a new one.

Lesnar, a former NCAA Division I national wrestling champion and World Wrestling Entertainment performer, made his much-hyped UFC debut earlier this month at UFC 81. Although he?d batter his opponent for all but a few seconds of the fight, Lesnar ultimately suffered a first-round submission via kneebar to former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir.

Team Punishment?s Justin McCully had been a frontrunner to fight Lesnar in his next match and even went as far as stating that the UFC had ?presented? him the fight. However, Coleman said he pleaded to UFC president Dana White for another fight, which likely prompted the scheduling change.

Coleman won't be easy for Lesnar either.

I'm glad the UFC aren't throwing him to complete "jobbers". I agree with the above that Brock's power will simply be too much for Coleman. Infact, I think his power will be a problem for most of the current HW division in the UFC.

I'm glad the UFC aren't throwing him to complete "jobbers". I agree with the above that Brock's power will simply be too much for Coleman. Infact, I think his power will be a problem for most of the current HW division in the UFC.

Yeah his power is one thing his defense against submissions is another...he needs to work on that before anything title wise comes his way.

Lesnar is an absolute monster, I wasn't aware he was in UFC now. I'll have to pay attention to this, heh.

Watch his first fight and see he has the hunger but lacks the experience, I see him winning this one tho.

i agree with rappy.. this was a very smart move by the UFC. They know that brock cannot compete with any of the A-list heavyweights in the ufc right now.. but they want to continue to build him up and they did it perfectly by bringing back and OLD a-list heavyweight. I think brock will win this one hands down.. i think the match is built just to do that and to bring more attention to brock as a ufc fighter. I honestly don't believe cole stands a chance against him.

• 3 weeks later...

I really want to see Brock fight Sylvia, I can't stand that lanky SOB his fights are so boring and he's complaining about not getting paid enough with his next contract or something.... boring fights = less money. I don't understand how anyone could be a fan of his.

Lesnar is a monster. Give him some time and experience and he will be a definite threat for the title. He'd grab Sylvia and throw his ass across the octagon.