Vista Sucking All Memory - No Superfetch!

You guys are driving me crazy...I don't know what do do now.

Do anything you like - it simply won't make much of a difference - this whole thread is making a mountain out of a molehill. Try it both ways and whichever way you prefer is the right thing to do. Next.

Disabling superfetch is pointless. Although if it really makes you "feel" better because you can see all the unused memory you want go for it.

Chill.

i'm just saying because it's freaking creepy now i have change my IP

Edited by Killa Aaron

You're kidding right?

i'm just kidding i did my research.

i had to give respect to allan the vet i had to fix my post.

scorbing:if i were you i would set the services back to there defaults including superfetch,you got tons of memory,why put it to waste if you can put it to good use,things may not be fast fast fast but at least when you open a minimized app it wont lag to hell for a few like it did under xp,by disabling superfetch and readyboost your forcing vista to act similar to the way xp does things and vista was meant to overcome many of xp's short comings including the prefetching system and once you set all back teach superfetch your routines to give it a good idea how you use your system by running various apps you may or may not use or very little and go on your business and see how it handles,it may take 1-2 days but at least that should help.

People seem confused by how what Vista considers cached. It means the swap + Ram, it doesn't mean everything is loaded into Ram because some of those systems have the ram showing at 53%, so that cache is stored on your hard drive the same way it was in XP.

As already said, simply put, superfetch preloads files from the hard disk into main memory in anticipation of a users needs.

To do this, superfetch monitors your usage pattern. So if you are repeating the process of first loading application a, then application b and lastly application c, apon rebooting your PC, superfetch will cache / preload these commonly used programs to reduce their loading times by populating them into main memory.

As far as I'm aware, the superfetch facility does not take priority over an applications direct memory request as this would swap this data into the page file, defeating the purpose of superfetch.

2ywu7h1.jpg

Superfetch, for me, makes good, efficient use of what resources are available.

superfetch will be improved over time,hopefuly with sp2 superfetch will be able to load more apps and keep them there and if it saw you open an app then there would be a high chance it would be put into main memory and stay there and if parts of it got swapped then after the app that did that closed then the whole app would be put back in but of course you would need like 3GB+memory for this to work,the more you have the more stays in memory but of course if you didnt launch an app in 7 days it would remove it and make room for your other apps and eventualy superfetch should allow you to change some of it's functionality.

As already said, simply put, superfetch preloads files from the hard disk into main memory in anticipation of a users needs.

To do this, superfetch monitors your usage pattern. So if you are repeating the process of first loading application a, then application b and lastly application c, apon rebooting your PC, superfetch will cache / preload these commonly used programs to reduce their loading times by populating them into main memory.

As far as I'm aware, the superfetch facility does not take priority over an applications direct memory request as this would swap this data into the page file, defeating the purpose of superfetch.

2ywu7h1.jpg

Superfetch, for me, makes good, efficient use of what resources are available.

Your screenshot is a perfect example of what I am talking about. It says that only 50MB are free and that 6817MB are cached but only 23% of your ram is in use.

Your screenshot is a perfect example of what I am talking about. It says that only 50MB are free and that 6817MB are cached but only 23% of your ram is in use.

Interesting...Didn't notice that before for some reason.

superfetch already does it. :D

i know that but eventualy it should have more options like maybe keeping certain apps always in memory n stuff like that but you never know what the future holds for it.

for me vista uses 30% of memory doing nothing. but why do i care? i have 4 GBs of ram so if it's using 1.25GBs it doesn't really matter surely. there's no need to disable services at least from a memory point of view. vista frees up memory if it needs to.

for me vista uses 30% of memory doing nothing. but why do i care? i have 4 GBs of ram so if it's using 1.25GBs it doesn't really matter surely. there's no need to disable services at least from a memory point of view. vista frees up memory if it needs to.

What most of you don't seem to understand is that you WANT the OS to use as much memory as possible. Free ram is wasted ram. An efficient OS will use all available memory at all times.

What most of you don't seem to understand is that you WANT the OS to use as much memory as possible. Free ram is wasted ram. An efficient OS will use all available memory at all times.

So what you are saying is that if Vista has all my RAM busy, if I decide to play Halo it will release the RAM so that I can run the game? I won't have any problems running Halo and play online?

So what you are saying is that if Vista has all my RAM busy, if I decide to play Halo it will release the RAM so that I can run the game? I won't have any problems running Halo and play online?

Yes, that's the idea...

Of course.