[MMA/Boxing] Silva challenges Roy Jones Jr

UFC MIDDLEWEIGHT champion Anderson Silva has challenged legendary fighter Roy Jones Jr to a bout in the ring.

Some of boxing?s biggest stars, including Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins and Tommy Morrison, have slammed mixed martial artists for an apparent lack of technique.

But now Brazilian star Silva has attempted to answer the criticism by daring Jones to take fight him in a boxing match.

Ed Soares, Silva?s manager, said: ?Anderson would really love to fight Roy Jones Jr in a boxing match.

?It?s not just talk, we really would like to put that fight together.

?We respect Jones? boxing ability and think he?s one of the best but we?re tired of different boxers saying that MMA fighters aren?t technical.

?Anderson would love to fight Roy Jones in a boxing match under boxing rules to prove that MMA fighters are technical too.

A clash between a top mixed martial artist and an elite boxer would be a huge draw for fight fans across the world, but it is unlikely UFC president Dana White would sanction the event unless his promotion controlled it.

Last year, Jones lavished praise on the UFC in an interview conducted by Boxing Scene.

He said: ?UFC is the best fighting the best and that?s what boxing has to do. If you are an ultimate fighter, you are going to fight someone who is going to fight.

?In UFC, if you lose to a good fighter, you lost, you still know you are good fighter, and you come back the next day and fight again.

?In boxing, if you lose - that's it. You are done. I lose a few fights, they want to tell me I'm washed up and I don't have it any more."

Jones would punish him severely in a boxing match and I'm no Roy Jones fan. Please Jones, take it.

As for Silvas comments about being washed up, thats wrong. You could have fifteen losses, pull an upset (if you claim you are that good), and keep on fighting.

MMA is still young, boxing has been through the ropes and have determined the exact styles to become elite. MMA will be there one day and have the model complete fighter which I think Silva is what I would reckon is close to. Thats the disconnect here.

If I were Roy, I'd take this fight in a heartbeat the more I think about it.

Another note, I simply am repulsed by how MMA and Boxing have to always bicker about each other. They are different sports, get over it already.

This fight would be an absolute joke. Does Silva realize you can't throw knees once you get backed into a corner in the boxing ring?

And yah digipoi, it seems that this feud has been escalating a lot as of recently. I know Mayweather mentioned he wanted to get some action with an MMA fighter (read $$$).

Does Silva realize you can't throw knees once you get backed into a corner in the boxing ring?

since he's partaken in, and won, straight up "duchess of queensbury" boxing matches, i'd say that he's just fine with the rules.

?I just spoke with Roy Jones? management and they are very interested in it. They think it would break all kinds of pay-per-view records. It all kind of started as a dream of Anderson?s, but if the UFC would back it, it is something that we really would like to pursue.?

]

From he

i>

We are getting ever closer to seeing John Cena from WWE going into a cage with Chuck Lidell and seeing Cena get his head ripped off :D

• 2 weeks later...
Representatives of UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. have confirmed that they are actively engaging in talks for a future boxing match.

The news comes from our friend Mike Chiappetta at NBCSports.com.

Although the potential fight has been rumored since UFC 82 earlier this month, the report says that negotiations are now in the preliminary stage and that both Silva and Jones are pushing for it. Additionally, the report states that it would be an official fight -- not an exhibition -- that would take place somewhere between 170 and 185 lbs.