Search window keeps popping up

My friends Vista laptop has a weird and annoying problem. The search window pops up over and over at random. There's no set pattern to it. Sometimes it pops up by iteslf, other times 3 or 4 of them pop up at a time. I've ran a couple virus / spyware scans and everything comes up clean. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks for the help in advance.

Here's the window I'm talking about for reference:

vistasearchwindowfz0.png

Are you sure your friend isn't pressing Win+F, or F3 on the desktop? Or anything else that would trigger that window?

Are you sure your friend isn't pressing Win+F, or F3 on the desktop? Or anything else that would trigger that window?

I have the laptop in front of me, and they pop up without pressing anything. :/ In fact, while typing this post 6 windows just popped up!

Edit: I just noticed it's also happening in programs, too. I'm using Firefox on the laptop, and the search box that pops up at the bottom when you press Ctrl+F or F3 comes up. It also happens in IE.

Edited by MasterC

If you press F3 on the Desktop, it opens that window, but if you press it inside an application, it does different things depending on the program, so if you open Word, what happens?

I am saying that because it might be that the F3 key is extremely sensitive and each move of the unit or vibration (from pressing nearby keys) could trigger the Search window or any actions in an active application. If you are still getting the Windows Search window even inside active programs, then there must be something in memory that is triggering the search window.

If you press F3 on the Desktop, it opens that window, but if you press it inside an application, it does different things depending on the program, so if you open Word, what happens?

I am saying that because it might be that the F3 key is extremely sensitive and each move of the unit or vibration (from pressing nearby keys) could trigger the Search window or any actions in an active application. If you are still getting the Windows Search window even inside active programs, then there must be something in memory that is triggering the search window.

Pressing F3 inside of Word does nothing, but Win Key + F opens the search box. I'm not sure it happens because of vibrations or movement of the laptop, because I set the laptop down on my desk, didn't touch anything, and it still happened.

If there's any way to disable search somehow, and it got rid of this problem, I'm sure she wouldn't mind. That's how frustrating this is!

1) Check to make sure there's nothing starting with the system you don't know about (msconfig - startup tab)

2) Run a full AV scan and a Spyware scan just to make sure there's no malware

1) Check to make sure there's nothing starting with the system you don't know about (msconfig - startup tab)

2) Run a full AV scan and a Spyware scan just to make sure there's no malware

1. Checked last night, and there was nothing suspicious

2. Did that last night, came up clean

Could you also ensure that there's no dust stuck in your keyboard too ?

I used a can of compressed air on the keyboard - still happened.

Does it happen when you press the "F" key?

That's a good point. Do you think the actual key could be stuck? I pressed it a lot last night to check, and it did work normally. I could type just fine, but whenever the laptop booted it beeped a lot. I'm talking anywhere from 30 to more than 120 times. Could the key be shorting out or something like that?

I had to give it back to her so she could type up a paper for a class, so I can't check it right now. Next time I have a chance to talk to her I can ask.

Thanks so much for the help so far guys!

Does it happen when you press the "F" key?

You know, at least 3 or 4 times in the last year or so, I've had the interesting problem where my computer would treat any keypress as if I was holding down the windows key (E would bring up "Computer", F would bring up "Find", D would minimize everything, etc.), despite the fact that I was not holding down this key (The first time, after being unable to fix the issue, in my frustration, I actually hit my laptop and broke two keys off)

Given that I've ensured that sticky keys is never on, what, beyond the keyboard just being crappy, would cause that?

I occassionally have that with a shift or control key (never with the Win key, but I suppose it's just as possible).

Could just as well be a keyboard problem.

Could just as well be a keyboard problem.

I'm going to have to assume that's it. I just had to reseat the cable connecting my laptop's keyboard not 2 minutes ago because my shift, alt, and ctrl keys weren't working (I tried logging in about 15 times before I realized that it was the shift key causing my problems). I'm pretty sure I should get this thing replaced.