Play games, hard-drive locks up, comp reboots

Hey guys. I'm having a really weird problem.

Usually when I play a game, it works fine until a certain point. At this point, my hard makes a sort of 'locking' sound, revs up, and then my computer reboots. All during this time my computer is frozen.

Upon the next reboot, nothing starts up, so I have to CTRL + ALT + DEL and kill explorer.exe, then logoff, and the re-log on. This is really weird.

I'm on a Maxtor 6L060J3 (60 gig hard drive).

Anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong?

That locking sound and then revving back up again sound like its loosing power so I would try using a different molex. But stuff not loading on next boot makes no sense, weird.

dont think its ur HD i had the same problem. because if it just happends with games think it might be a driver issue or something but doubt its ur HD

BUT he says when he reboots nothing starts.

here's your problem.. Maxtor. just last year, i RMA'd 3 maxtor drives. if i was a distributor, that'd be a very small number, but no - just a home user whose drive went bad, then a few friends had the same probs.. so i sent them in all at once.. seriously, i only hear about difficulties with maxtor.. now i only go WD or IBM.

here's your problem.. Maxtor. just last year, i RMA'd 3 maxtor drives. if i was a distributor, that'd be a very small number, but no - just a home user whose drive went bad, then a few friends had the same probs.. so i sent them in all at once.. seriously, i only hear about difficulties with maxtor.. now i only go WD or IBM.

Did you get a free replacement or anything?

That's bad advice.

For every person who has had to RMA three Maxtors there are people have have had to RMA three Western Digitals, or three IBM's.

Are there any power-checking programs out there that will let me check how much power my computer is using?

I would also like to know if there are any power-checking programs :)

Briandl79 >>

That's bad advice.

For every person who has had to RMA three Maxtors there are people have have had to RMA three Western Digitals, or three IBM's.

(^---- heh, i quoted the wrong person at first, so i just pasted the right one ----^)

statistically... maybe. but here are my facts: i've used WD since the 1 gig drive.. followed by an 8, 20, 40, and now a 100... and i've NEVER had a problem. but with my 20gb Maxtor, nothing but problems.. one time, i tried backing up my maxtor drive before i sent it back.. it'd take an hour to copy a 60 meg dir of mp3s at a time.. multiply that by 8 gigs and you tell me why i've turned my back on maxtor. :crazy:

now, as far as the RMA goes, yes, i'm confident they'll hook you up with a free one - hard drive companies are good about that, though i recall a few months ago they were cutting warranty times back some.. good luck

Edited by excessdl

Briandl79 >>

That's bad advice.

(^---- heh, i quoted the wrong person at first, so i just pasted the right one ----^)

statistically... maybe. but here are my facts: i've used WD since the 1 gig drive.. followed by an 8, 20, 40, and now a 100... and i've NEVER had a problem. but with my 20gb Maxtor, nothing but problems.. one time, i tried backing up my maxtor drive before i sent it back.. it'd take an hour to copy a 60 meg dir of mp3s at a time.. multiply that by 8 gigs and you tell me why i've turned my back on maxtor. :crazy:

now, as far as the RMA goes, yes, i'm confident they'll hook you up with a free one - hard drive companies are good about that, though i recall a few months ago they were cutting warranty times back some.. good luck

Those are the facts from your use. Maxtor, imo, is the best hd maker out there. It's all I buy for computers I build or upgrade. Never had a problem. I also had Quantum back before Maxtor bought them out, had a couple ibm, and have just recently bought my first WD. And have not had a problem with any.

A different molex? Could you explain?

Are there any power-checking programs out there that will let me check how much power my computer is using?

The molex is the power connector plugged into the HD, the small fat one. Take that out and try using one of the others that should be free.

Haven't tried the molex, but I will soon. Perhaps it might be just not plugged in right.

I tried a different game, and as soon as I got into the level, the same thing happened.

Weird. :s

Hmm. I don't wanna have to buy a new molex because I don't think that's the problem.

Any other suggestions?

It happened again while I was finishing installing WinXP DME. It usually happens after my computer has been on for a long time.

buy a new molex? huh... you can't buy a new molex, you can buy a new power supply but that's a little extreme. Just take one of the free molexes that aren't being used and swap it for the one in the HD.

Definatly sounds like a problem with your hard disk. It could possibly be that the read/right heads are colliding with the platters in the drive and thats whats causing the harddisk to stop spinning, this would also explain the lockup problems you have.

Run scandisk, if the program starts detecting loads of bad sectors, then that is definatly whats happening.

Get a replacement drive.