[MMA] Dream 1 Results - Cro Cop Returns

The K-1 HERO's organization and former executives from PRIDE Fighting Championship today launched their first show under the "DREAM" banner.

The event, which featured the opening round of a stacked lightweight grand prix took place at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, and aired locally on the Tokyo Broadcasting System.

A much-anticipated main event between grand-prix participants Gesias "JZ" Calvancante and Shinya Aoki ended in disappointment, and former UFC fighter Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic saw less than a minute of fight time, during the 10-bout event.

The Calvancante-Aoki fight, first slated for December (but canceled due to a training injury suffered by Calvancante), was halted in the first round. Calvancante struck his opponent with a series of illegal elbow strikes while trying to avoid a takedown. Aoki was unable to recover during a rest period, and the bout was ruled a no-contest. (However, the matter will likely go under the review of DREAM executives for an official decision.)

Six of the remaining seven grand-prix bouts advanced a fighter to the next round. They included Tatsuya Kawajiri, Eddie Alvarez, Mitsuhiro Ishida, Katsuhiko Nagata, Luiz Firmino and Joachim Hansen.

Meanwhile, in one of the night's three non-tournament bouts, former UFC fighter Filipovic rebounded from back-to-back losses in the octagon with a 56-second TKO of an outmatched Tatsuya Mizuno.

The full results included:

* Gesias "JZ" Calvancante vs. Shinya Aoki ruled no contest (illegal elbow from Calvancante ) -- Round 1, 3:46

* Tatsuya Kawajiri def. Kultar Gill via unanimous decision

* Eddie Alvarez def. Andre Amade via TKO (strikes) -- Round 1, 6:47

* Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic def. Tatsuya Mizuno via TKO (strikes) -- Round 1, 0:56

* Mitsuhiro Ishida def. Bu Kyung Jung via unanimous decision

* Katsuhiko Nagata def. Artur Oumakhanov via unanimous decision

* Luiz Firmino def. Kazuyuki Miyata via submission (rear-naked choke) -- Round 1, 7:37

* Joachim Hansen def. Kotetsu Boku via unanimous decision

* Hayato "Mach" Sakurai def. Hidetaka Monma via TKO (strikes) -- Round 1, 4:12

* Ikuhisa Minowa def. Bum Chan Kang via submission (kneebar) -- Round 1, 1:25

So why couldn't he do this in UFC? it has to be the rules thing.

Edited by Rappy

So why couldn't he does this in UFC? it has to be the rules thing.

Either that, or the fact that they actually gave him decent fighters in the UFC. I won't be surprised if "DREAM" throw him complete walkovers from now on. Personally, I don't see how much more CroCop has to give to MMA as he couldn't live up to his billing at the UFC where they arguably have amongst the best fighters in world at present. No matter how many people he beats in DREAM, will the MMA world consider him a serious contender for a top heavyweight?

Either that, or the fact that they actually gave him decent fighters in the UFC. I won't be surprised if "DREAM" throw him complete walkovers from now on. Personally, I don't see how much more CroCop has to give to MMA as he couldn't live up to his billing at the UFC where they arguably have amongst the best fighters in world at present. No matter how many people he beats in DREAM, will the MMA world consider him a serious contender for a top heavyweight?

Yeah he said he will return to the UFC one day so I would imagine these fights he will be having will be good warm ups, then he will return and get totally pwned by Brock Lesnar :p