Is it worth Switching?

Ok, here's the deal.

I've been a long time Windows User, and I'm honestly a little tired of it. I want a change.

I'm off to Uni in September, and I need a laptop. I want portability etc etc blah blah....the MacBook looks perfect. I'll wait till WWDC is over to see if there are any updates.

Is it worth Switching over? Have you come across any faults or regrets?

All my software I use is pretty much free, or open source (Firefox, VLC etc), so I won't have a problem with that.

The answer here is easy. No. Why? Because in order to "switch" you have to buy all new hardware. And, like all Apple products, the price of an Apple laptop will always be more than an identical-spec PC only because Apple's logo is more expensive than it's competitors.

So in that sense, no it's not "worth" it.

If you want a change and don't care about the money then you'll always wonder how much you would have liked it if you don't try it. The safety net (and one of Apple's top selling features) of Mac is you can either dual-boot it with Windows, or run Windows applications in a virtual machine with third party software. This way, when you switch you aren't "stuck" if you need a PC application. And if you regret your decision you could always turn your Mac into a single Windows-boot computer. Just don't tell Steve Jobs.

In that sense it is a "safe" switch.

So, the only thing you have to decide is how much money you want to spend.

you can also try to switch to Linux, not as nice in terms of UI or general feel but still better than Windows

That's a matter of opinion. One of my biggest complaints is the delayed response time when opening files, such as a 1KB text file. I've been told compiling the OS just about eliminates this, but like I want to bother with that. It has its benefits, but like Opera, the quirks just aren't enough to hook me.

That's a matter of opinion. One of my biggest complaints is the delayed response time when opening files, such as a 1KB text file. I've been told compiling the OS just about eliminates this, but like I want to bother with that. It has its benefits, but like Opera, the quirks just aren't enough to hook me.

out of curiosity, what distro did you use?

And, like all Apple products, the price of an Apple laptop will always be more than an identical-spec PC only because Apple's logo is more expensive than it's competitors.

no. there are so many comparisons that prove that this is not always true.

the question is not if its worth switching, rather than "will i regret switching?"

i switched from mac to windows to mac and i regretted switching from mac to windows which was why i switched back to mac and thats something i dont regret.

for me, it was "worth it".

but then again thats a desicion, you have to make on your own.

after all its just computing and about what suits your needs best, what makes you feel better when working and what brings you the best performance for what you do, isnt it?

I switched a couple of years ago (although I do still have a pc around) and I really enjoy the mac. I havent regretted it at all if that helps any :).

The answer here is easy. No. Why? Because in order to "switch" you have to buy all new hardware. And, like all Apple products, the price of an Apple laptop will always be more than an identical-spec PC only because Apple's logo is more expensive than it's competitors.

Really man?

If your going to be going to uni you will get great educational discounts, think the last time I checked the price of the lowest spec macbook was AU$1300, not too bad, dont see what C_Guys complaining about.

As for me, switching was the best thing I have ever done, it has completely revolutionized the way I use a computer, but remember this, if you do switch, you have to learn how to use it, having a mac just for the **** of it and you will probably not think much of it.

Its unbelievable, ive seen some of my friends switch to macs and they just have no clue, they use it as if its windows, .app's all over their desktops, .dmg's still mounted, running apps from the dmg's, windows minimized, windows maximized I look at it tell em, **** man, learn to use it or go back to windows for the love of god.

In fact this one time I met some dude who was using a mac and didnt even know about expose, i mean damn, he was just kinda pulling windows around the desktop to reach other ones, i almost **** myself. However, I then showed him expose and set up active screen corners so all he had to do to reach expose (all/application), show desktop & dashboard was move the mouse into one of the corners of the screen.

It isn't hard to learn by the way, extremely simple, just some people, like some of my friends don't seem to like the concept of change. The best method I have heard was from a member on these boards, he said something along the lines of "Just pretend your using a computer for the first time, start from scratch."

Do this and you will quickly realize just how amazing it is, then you will probably end up kicking yourself wondering wtf you were doing all this time, like me.

Edited by se7en.hu

Ok, here's the deal.

I've been a long time Windows User, and I'm honestly a little tired of it. I want a change.

I'm off to Uni in September, and I need a laptop. I want portability etc etc blah blah....the MacBook looks perfect. I'll wait till WWDC is over to see if there are any updates.

Is it worth Switching over? Have you come across any faults or regrets?

All my software I use is pretty much free, or open source (Firefox, VLC etc), so I won't have a problem with that.

I would check to see if anyone you know has a extra mac around that they could spare for a week for a trial and during that week do not use Windows. Now pricing is not really that bad where the Macbook is concerned but the pro's are more costly than compairable PC's also, Just remember you can install Windows on it or at a later date you find that OSX does't fit you can wipe everything out and just install Windows as your only OS.

One other tip is if you do buy one consider Apple Care in the price. (Reason being is after market parts are more expensive if something needs to be replaced from apple vs running down to the local PC store and picking something up)

Money isn't an issue for me.

Thank you for your replies. Anytime I start thinking about switching, I forget that I can BootCamp it up if needs be.

We'll see what happens come June :) Thanks guys.

Best thing about getting a mac (as it seems money no issue) the door is never closed :D as all macs support full installation and dual boot with any other OS (Windows / Linux) so even if you find after buying a macbook pro that OS X is little uncomfortable (all Mac Boys would agruee that day will never come) u can always switch back to your older OS (Windows XP/Vista or linux)...

Mind you, MacBook Pro still is one of the fastest platform (hardware) to run Windows :D

A quick question about BootCamp. When in Windows, can I access the Mac drive?

Purely because I don't want to have a copy of my Music on each drive.

A quick question about BootCamp. When in Windows, can I access the Mac drive?

Purely because I don't want to have a copy of my Music on each drive.

Natively no :( you may need to take help of http://www.macdisk.com/mden.php3 or such software :(

How ever OS X can natively access NTFS :D (read only)

Natively no :( you may need to take help of http://www.macdisk.com/mden.php3 or such software :(

How ever OS X can natively access NTFS :D (read only)

That's for that! I guess I could just put my music on the Windows partition. Problem solved.

Edited by John.

Best thing about getting a mac (as it seems money no issue) the door is never closed :D as all macs support full installation and dual boot with any other OS (Windows / Linux) so even if you find after buying a macbook pro that OS X is little uncomfortable (all Mac Boys would agruee that day will never come) u can always switch back to your older OS (Windows XP/Vista or linux)...

Mind you, MacBook Pro still is one of the fastest platform (hardware) to run Windows :D

MacBook Pro is not one of the fastest platforms to run Windows. Any other laptop with similar specs will run Windows just as fast, and laptops with *gasp* BETTER specs will run it even FASTER! There's nothing special about the MacBook Pro, and it pales in comparison to quad-core desktop machines, etc...

I don't think C_Guy is the most objective source of information. Many sites have confirmed, that in fact, Apple hardware is on par with the Windows counterparts.

His motto: Apple Stock. Now crashing like their computers.

His signature: They say "Macs get you laid". Need proof? When was the last time Steve Jobs had a girlfriend? Or a friend for that matter.

I think it's quite pathetic that you take the time to insult Macs without reason nor rhyme. Learn the facts.

One item worth mentioning is what line of work are you planning on going into?

I've been a Windows user for nearly 20 years, and I developer business applications that run on that platform, so for *me* there is little value of moving to *nix or a Mac. Both of those choices have their values and benefits. Obviously you can change systems in 4 years... just think about why you want to switch and what benefits will you get out of the change.

Best of luck.

James Rose

Hey guys, I wrote One of the surely we have alienware / Dell xps system which is some time better config than MacBook Pro...

I never wrote it is the fastest, but rather its one of the fastest :)

Yes. its worth it.

Mac OS is very clean and easy to grasp. You can use any/all OS's on them (then again you can use MacOSX on a windows-only machine too)

The battery life in a macbook is incredible in comparison to most other windows laptops that are the same price... just surfing/music I get a solid 3hr out of it. More if I operate it less vigerously.

The feel and look are very nice to the laptop. I would recommend getting a refurbished one from apple.com, for the extra $100 to go with a mac its not going to be a downer. Also the resale value don't deminish at an alarming rate like a PC does.

I'd been using Windows for 15 years and never used anything else until eight or so months ago when I got my first Mac. Was the best thing i've ever done with my life, i'm 10-fold more productive. Not to mention the 15 second boot time and 4 hours of battery I get, awesome for college

I'd been using Windows for 15 years and never used anything else until eight or so months ago when I got my first Mac. Was the best thing i've ever done with my life, i'm 10-fold more productive. Not to mention the 15 second boot time and 4 hours of battery I get, awesome for college

+1

It's all about OS X. ;)

Switch, it's worth it! Don't take my word for it, though, as I'm biased. But all the people I've convinced to switch (both average users and pros) now thank me.

Yeah, I think it's worth it to switch. I have my 1.5 years old 24" iMac in front of me, paid 2500CAD for it and I love it.

The only regret I've come across is the lack of a good MS Office on the Mac. I am a student in engineering and there's still not good app on the Mac, AFAIK, that can do easy math equations, while being able to format text like Word. (Word 2008 does NOT even support math equations natively, and the plug-in I used on 2004 sucks).

Other than that, you have boot camp, but I have to mention that there were a lot more OS X apps 2 years ago on a Mac that I thought when I decided to switch, and today it's even more unbelievable, so you shouldn't have a problem to find comparative apps.

I don't think C_Guy is the most objective source of information. Many sites have confirmed, that in fact, Apple hardware is on par with the Windows counterparts.

His motto: Apple Stock. Now crashing like their computers.

His signature: They say "Macs get you laid". Need proof? When was the last time Steve Jobs had a girlfriend? Or a friend for that matter.

I think it's quite pathetic that you take the time to insult Macs without reason nor rhyme. Learn the facts.

Fact #1: Steve Jobs has a rather nice looking wife :p

-Rich-