Civ III Anyone?

Has anyone been playing Civilization III? I have been trying, and this game is really hard for some reason, even on really easy. All the other civilizations I am playing with, will sail right over to your land, and if there is even 3 spaces of coast without a city, they will move right on it and settle. It sucks hardcore when you are at peace with them, cause then you start a war with them to get them off. It seems like all the races in the new Civ III are too agressive, even on the easiest setting.

i've been playing civ3 but it was dominating too much of my life so i forced myself not to play for awhile. i haven't played since monday i think, so i might give it a whirl today again.

civ3 is definetly aggressive. i found i had the same probs that you were having when i first started. The way i solved it was by customizing the matches and only play against 2 or 3 civs to begin with. then once i sorta got the hang of it, go play against a lot of the civs.

i found that in civ3, you need to develop your culture big time, rely on diplomacy to form alliances, and never ever give away your maps.

i couldn't figure out why everytime i gave away my maps, shortly thereafter civs would declare war on me, even if i was a nice guy. Guess they want what i have. Since i stopped giving away my maps, remember i never give them away anymore, civs are much less likely to declare war on me.

over thanksgiving weekend, i played as the germans on regent. by the mid 1800's the only civs left were me, the frenchies, the rooskies and the chinese. i got irritated with Jean D'Arc making all these demands on me, so i eliminated her. that left the russians and the chinese. mao eventually ****ed me off cause he kept allowing his troops to walk on my land after i had warned him repeatedly. the last straw was when he formed a city on a tiny piece of exposed peninsula on my land. so i attacked him, sure enough he had a military alliance with russia. so i had to fight a war on two fronts

there was one good thing for me.

i had a buttload of panzer tanks. the russians and chinese had nothing to counter them at all. they were both squashed like bugs on a windshield :evil:

my girl doesn't understand the fascination with the game. she was staring at me in disbelief as i swore at chairman mao for having the audacity to make a city on my land.

course, she never used to like quake 3 either and now she plays a mean game of rocket arena :D for a girl

women, can you believe it? she hit me for saying that. Anyway, good luck with the game. have fun