"Single Window Mode" in Safari 3.1

One of my two biggest feature requests in Safari was double click on tab bar to make a new tab, and single window mode. Safari 3.1 includes the first feature.

Safari 3.1 does indeed have a single-window mode, but it has to be entered from the Terminal.

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Enjoy!

from TUAW

Whew, now I can get rid of SafariStand. That was the only reason I had it installed.

Same here, it is so much better now that it is official.... no more "Stand" bar.

FYI: Just like SafariStand, this will not work with certain javascript windows like Flash video and game windows.

FYI: Just like SafariStand, this will not work with certain javascript windows like Flash video and game windows.

Which is perfect, in my opinion, because I never want those windows inside the main window anyway.

Does Cmd+clicking now open new windows? I assume the Terminal command just reversed the behavior.

Nope. Just tested a bunch of keyboard shortcuts and they all go to new tabs.

Apple finally fixed the two features I have wanted for years: double click tab bar, and (hidden) single window mode.

But there is "one more thing...."

Does anyone know of a way for the Downloads window to close automatically when a download finishes, just like Camino and Firefox? Also I do not want to have to use a plug-in to do so.

What's really nice, is if you have a mouse with a middle button, and have it set up as Button 3, then enabling this feature along with the Command+Click=New Tab option, regular clicking targeted links will open them in a new tab in the foreground, middle clicking targeted links will open them in a new tab in the background.

Very nice.

Its what it sounds like. All links that are supposed to open in a new window will open as a tab, you can create new windows on your own if you want to though.

I'm not sure how to use it on Windows. It is designed for the Terminal in Mac OS X. I read somewhere that with the Windows version of Safari, a certain file can be edited to add these hidden options that Mac users type into the Terminal, but I'm not exactly sure. Maybe someone else has a better answer.

Still, this single window mode is awesome! I don't understand why Safari didn't have this from the start.

Nope. Just tested a bunch of keyboard shortcuts and they all go to new tabs.

That's odd, doesn't seem very Apple-like, not to mention most other web browsers tend to just reverse the behavior. Oh well, I dislike links opening in new windows, anyway.

I'm not sure how to use it on Windows. It is designed for the Terminal in Mac OS X. I read somewhere that with the Windows version of Safari, a certain file can be edited to add these hidden options that Mac users type into the Terminal, but I'm not exactly sure. Maybe someone else has a better answer.

Still, this single window mode is awesome! I don't understand why Safari didn't have this from the start.

Probably because tab browsing still confuses some people. I know my parents, for example, still prefer having multiple windows only because they prefer alt+tabbing various windows instead of having them in tabs.

I don't understand what this is.

Single window mode is exactly what it sounds like. This Terminal command forces all links to open in new tabs instead of new windows. Thus, you have just one active Safari window, instead of multiple.

Thanks for sharing this!

I must say I love Safari but like most people, hate how new links open in new windows! I have about 4 - 5 tabs running usually and it's always a pain when Safari opens a new window!

So yes, much appreciated for sharing this with us :D