DirectX 11 almost done!

They expect it to be released together with SP2 for Vista in late 2008.

DirectX 11 has a new feature called "Ray tracing" to render more realistic 3D graphics.

Raytracing_reflection.png

Three spheres that reflect off the floor and each other.

Source

What day is it tomorrow.... oh yeah....

I might be real but there is no way that it is "almost done"...

Hell i can count with one hand the number of games that support DX 10.

And the number of games made exclusively for DX10 = 0 (nil)

hmm..cool...but not sure whether any game will utilise those effects at its max...because dx 9 is still rocking ..and only very few dx10 games have been released as of now...(i think its been more than 1 yr that vista has been released!!)

sounds shady. by late 2008? probably not.

last i read, ray tracing is extremely computationally intensive... makes you wonder how performance will suffer.

Well to be fair it says it's a "new feature", which for DirectX it is. Yeah, it's been around since the 60's though at least. Now if they are smart they'll release DirectX 11 for XP and Vista, but they probably won't.

If Intel did most of the work its only because of Larrabee's insanely multiple x86 core design being used for stuff like this. Perhaps they are extremely serious entering the Discreet GPU market once again.

Pretty sure Direct X 10.1 came out less then 2 months ago and we have very few Direct X 10.1 devices. Direct X 11 is probably a while off.

I don't know its relation to DX11, but I do know one company (Intel?) was investing in ray technologies. It was interesting, because nVidia thought it was stupid, and that the current methods were fine. I think the interview on this came out like 2-3 weeks ago.