Hacking the start menu

Hi all, 1st timer but long time lurker here. :)

I am fast aproaching getting windows XP home edition but would like it to work "My way".

I know that you can create several user logins but I don't wish to do that, basically I have myself, wife & kids on the PC but neither my wife nor children are very savvy when it comes to PC's so in the past on Win98 I simply used to set up a folder and link a shortcut to the desktop for them (This is just far easier for me to then adjust/change things) for all their "Bit's".

What gets totally thrown out of the window then is "My Documents" in the start menu as various users will be using the same user login.

Here's what I would really like to do:

1. Get rid of the image/logo & username (Hide possibly).

2. Edit the Documents list to not show "My Documents etc, but then add in my own shortcut to files to that section.

I found the images below on the net & just hacked them up a bit so you could see what I was on about.

1st image - Original XP format

xpstartmenu1.jpg

2nd Image - What I would like

xpstartmenu2.jpg

I really would appreciate any help on this. :)

The best thing to do is that you read the guide in Customizing Windows XP section. To get your own folders n stuff on the start menu just click on Enable Dragging n Dropping and uncheck show My Documents in the Start menu options.