OmniWeb 4.2 Released

The Omni Group has released OmniWeb 4.2 beta, a new in-development version of the company's Web browser, made exclusively for Mac OS X.

OmniWeb was one of the first major third-party applications out of the gate for Mac OS X, back when the operating system itself was still a public beta. The browser received praise early on for its support of Apple's Quartz rendering technology and its speed, thanks to its creation using Apple's Cocoa application framework.

The Omni Group said that OmniWeb 4.2 improves compatibility with Web servers, and adds new preferences to aid in downloading files and managing Internet plug-ins. What's more, a new "Send Link" function shares Web page URLs over e-mail, and the "Zoomed Text Editor" lets you input large amounts of text into forms. OmniWeb 4.2 beta also adds support for the Shared Menus protocol, enabling other applications to integrate with OmniWeb.

Other enhancements, bug fixes and other changes have been made too. For the complete list, please check the release notes. Otherwise, you can download OmniWeb 4.2 beta from The Omni Group's Web site.

Omni Group

Good find Justin,

After reviewing the beta I'm not seeing a lot different between this and the previous versions but I honestly feel Safari and OmniWeb could EASILY be distant cousins.

Both have a similar interface, render pages quite close to each other in speed AND view, both are OSX Native... OmniWeb is my 2nd Browser on my system for when Safari fails, if Apple canceled Safari tomorrow I'd be back to using OmniWeb as my primary.

Again, good catch,

Cara

Didn't they say that the next version of OmniWeb would have "something similar to tabbed browsing, but much better"? Ohwell... :)

I would assume that would be in the 5.0 release. Something like that sounds too minor for a minor version update...