[MMA] Fedor vs Sylvia in July

Former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia (24-4) and longtime PRIDE title-holder Fedor Emelianenko (27-1) have agreed to fight on July 19, most likely at the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

The news was first reported by Sherdog.com, which learned of the fight from Emelianenko. According to the report, the event will likely be promoted by Affliction in partnership with HDNet Fights.

Affliction is a popular MMA clothing brand that recently made known its intentions of entering the fight-promotion business.

Finally someone can shut Sylvia up!

Has Fedor signed with someone?

No this will most probably be an exhibition fight because both are free agents.

Although the two fighters appear close to an agreement, heavyweights Fedor Emelianenko and Tim Sylvia have not signed bout agreements for their reported July fight.

Sherdog.com first reported the bout, learning of the fight directly from Emelianenko. The fight is expected to be held under the Affliction banner and will likely air on Mark Cuban's HDNet high-definition station.

However, Vadim Finkelstein, Emelianenko's manager, threw up a caution flag and said the details are still being worked out. Additionally, a representative for Sylvia confirmed the status with MMAjunkie.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Now Confirmed!

Fedor Emelianenko (27-1) says a rumored bout with former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia (24-4) -- a bout he first announced earlier this month -- is now official.

The former PRIDE title-holder confirmed the July 19 fight on his personal website.

Although Emelianenko mentioned neither a host nor a venue for the fight, recent reports suggest that it'll be part of Affliction's first-ever MMA show, and it's likely to take place at the American Airline Center in Dallas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

post-15395-1211052761.jpg

Affliction: Banned

July 19th, 2008

The Honda Center

Anaheim, CA

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia

Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo

Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Negao

Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead

Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Paul Buentello

Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young

Justin Levens vs. Ray Lazama

Mike Pyle vs. Brett Cooper

J.J. Ambrose vs. Patrick Speight

Ben Rothwell vs. TBA (Rumored Andrei Arlovski)

That is actually looking like it's gonna be a very good card! UFC 85 take note! :laugh:

Yeah thats a really strong card and should get the company on the map, the fact that Fedor will pwn Tim will be worth the admission alone.

Yeah thats a really strong card and should get the company on the map, the fact that Fedor will pwn Tim will be worth the admission alone.

Me and the cousins been talking about that match up with Fedor and Tim. We all don't care for Tim but agreed we could take a bet on the underdog. He is awkward and has a punchers chance plus his chin is pretty good. Not the best but good. I'll definitely check that match out if only to see Sylvia get punished. I wouldn't count him out in the least though.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how Fedor will fair up against Sylvia and how his ring rust will play a part. I say ring rust because he hasn't fought anyone worth mentioning for a few years now! Say and hate what you want about Tim Sylvia, but he is still a multi time UFC HW Champion. Who knows, maybe he'll bore Fedor into submission! :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Next Week!

Does anyone know if this is being shown in the UK?

Also, something interesting...

FEDOR EMELIANENKO has injury concerns ahead of his fight with Tim Sylvia, according to UFC superstar Michael Bisping.

Russian legend Emelianenko, 31, squares up against former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia in a fight for new MMA promotion Affliction on 19 July.

But speaking exclusively to SunSport, British star Bisping, 29, claims The Last Emperor will go into the bout with 32-year-old American Sylvia at less than full fitness.

Bisping said: “It’s going to be good to see if Fedor is still the man but I’ve heard on the grapevine from inside sources that he could be injured.

“But this is time for Fedor to step up. Everyone knows what Tim Sylvia is all about but Fedor’s had an aura about him for a long time.

“The guy was devastating in Pride but he’s had a long lay off now and his last couple of fights have been against smaller guys.

“It’ll be interesting to see if he’s still got what he had in Pride - which I’m sure he has - because the guy’s probably the best fighter in MMA history.”

Emelianenko will be the favourite going into the heavyweight clash, but Bisping warned the Russian of the threat Sylvia poses.

Bisping added: “Tim will give anyone a hard day, he’s a very, very experienced, underrated fighter and has knocked out a who’s who of MMA.

“But he’s gone a little bit stale lately – he’s trying not to lose as opposed to trying to win which has given him a boring style.

“In the past he was knocking people out left, right and centre. If he gets back to his roots and goes out like that then who knows, maybe he could surprise a lot of people.”

But Bisping admitted: “I think the fight will play out similar to when Randy Couture fought Tim Sylvia, but I’m picking Fedor to beat Tim.”

Veteran fighter Gary Goodridge (23-17-1) has stepped in to replace Aleksander Emelianenko (13-3) and will fight Paul Buentello (25-10) at Saturday's "Affliction: Banned" event.

Buentello confirmed the opponent switch with MMAjunkie.com just a few hours after Friday's weigh-ins.

The California State Athletic Commission said Emelianenko didn't meet licensing standards minutes before he was scheduled to weigh in at the Honda Center in Anaheim, the same venue that hosts tomorrow's FSN- and PPV-televised event.

One didn't turn up :p

Well, to be completely honest, Tim Sylvia washed out ages ago. And he didn't look at all like he was there to fight, but to collect a paycheck. The heavyweight division is just very poor right now. Arlovski is past his prime. Barnett just isn't a great fighter. Nog is about the only person close to a great fighter in that weight class right now. I'm not trying to take away from Fedor, but it's not that hard to be dominant in an almost non-existent weight class. GSP and Spider are having to do it in weight classes stacked with talent. BJ Penn too. If Fedor could make it down to 205, I'd love to see him and Spider go.

Arlovski is past his prime.

I definitely disagree.

Did you see him against Ben Rothwell?

Arlovski IS BACK!

EDIT: And to add. Damn, I've heard a lot about Fedor and even seen some of his fights but that guy should be ranked the world's top heavyweight, without a doubt. Can that match with Sylvia even be called an annhilation? It was so quick.