40" LCD buying help

What to buy?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What TV?

• Sony Bravia KDL-40Z4100
    • Samsung LN40A650T
    • Toshiba Cinema Regza 40XF550U
    • Other

oh and i hate how tvs get relseased jap>us>uk>aus ....... :p well get the new sony prabaly sept-dec :(

Actually, the US usually gets the new models before Japan.

As far as I know Sony, Pioneer, and Sharp releases their new model in the US before Japan.

I would recommend Sony or Sharp, since I'm pretty much biased against Samsung ever since I had a TERRIBLE experience with 20 samsung monitors we have in the office.

u must have some ****box plasmas at your work[no offense ;p], very hard to get image retention on them these days....we keep some tvs on fta the whole day[6-8hrs] get get no retention on our plasmas o.o[panas+samsungs]...not talking about the cheap and nasty ones...hope ur not talking about on of those

The plasma we have is a Samsung (HPT5064) that was released in 2007.

I'm pretty sure StevoFC works for BestBuy as well as BangBang. I doubt that the units he is mentioning are cheap.

Chris does work at Best Buy, but I don't.

Like usual I would get the Sammy. 9 times out of 10 I recommend Samsung LCD's. 120hz is definitely a sweet feature on newer televisions. But models that have it are practically double the price of ones that don't.

I have two comments about plasma tv's...

Most of them draw ridiculous amounts of power compared to lcd, and they throw off a ton of heat.

Second, I have some experience with plasmas and while the picture quality is good (with exceptions) those burn in protection features seem to do very little. We have a 50 inch plasma here at work and the image retention on it is so bad it's not even funny. I am constantly running the white to black gradient feature to try and get the burn in to go away. And that's even with the pixel shift function enabled.

Without a doubt get an LCD.

Thanks for that info Stevo, I was looking at plasma TVs and had not heard about the problems. I live in the desert and alot of heat is not what I need in my house!?

cheers! cheers.gif

The plasma we have is a Samsung (HPT5064) that was released in 2007.

Chris does work at Best Buy, but I don't.

hmmm really guess it does happen but i havent seen it lol.... dont really know that model..i hate how models are different in different countries ...... :p hope u dont sell that one to customers.....:D

and yeh if u live in the desert a plasma would boil =\

Thanks for that info Stevo, I was looking at plasma TVs and had not heard about the problems. I live in the desert and alot of heat is not what I need in my house!

cheers! cheers.gif

I should have stated also that there is a break in period. The plasma we have isn't really on very often, so I highly doubt it has even been broken in. In many cases image retention will be less noticeable after the break in period. But the model I stated, for example, can take up to 300 hours to "break in." Seeing as though we have it in our Board Room (for meetings, etc.) it's not on long and most days not on at all.

^ ahahhaah finally the truth..... guess it doesnt help when u dont use it much..... and i bet settings r on dynamic :D

and to OP: when u get the tv tell us which one u get :)

I should have stated also that there is a break in period. The plasma we have isn't really on very often, so I highly doubt it has even been broken in. In many cases image retention will be less noticeable after the break in period. But the model I stated, for example, can take up to 300 hours to "break in." Seeing as though we have it in our Board Room (for meetings, etc.) it's not on long and most days not on at all.

I think as far as image retention on plasma goes it all comes down to brand and your settings. I have an 1150HD that I'd guess has about 200 hours on it and a lot of that is from gaming. My longest gaming session was when I recently played through Heavenly Sword in it's entirety in one sitting. I thought for sure I would have image retention, but when I checked the TV immediately afterwards on a blank screen in a dark room I saw nothing. I played through about 75 stars of mario galaxy when the TV was brand new with no image retention despite the fact that the TV saw very little other than the game. Played over 12 hours of GT5p over the last two days with nothing to break up the game other than turning the tv off when I'm done. It's a lot more resilient than I expected, though I suspect if I try hard enough I can get something to show up :). Maybe MGS4 will be the one to do it with it's relatively bright/high contrast HUD.

On the other hand my friend's Pio 5060 gets image retention very quickly. If you game for a few hours on the 5060 it takes about 20-30 minutes for the IR to go away, and I'm convinced I could burn this set with my habits. Our settings are very similar with regards to color and light output (set for a little above 40fL with the picture setting at 33 on my TV and 30 on his). I know two people who game all the time on their 50PZ700u's. They get image retention after long gaming sessions. They have "picture" maxed out at 30 though. They tell me it goes away in a couple of minutes (sometimes more like 15) and they've never had anything last longer than that (one plays smash all the time, while the other plays cod4). I do have one friend that has a samsung 5073, but he doesn't game so I dunno about that one. Have another that has a 4270 that has a 360 and only rockband for it. No idea how extensive his gaming habits are, but he hasn't mentioned any issues yet. That's the extent of my experience with plasma and gaming on the different brands.

To my knowledge the worst plasmas for IR are NEC plasmas (especially the older XR4/XR5 models), LG plasmas (07 models and older, dunno about the new stuff), hitachi plasmas (all of em, even the current ones), Pioneer plasmas 7th gen and older, and Samsung plasmas. Panasonics used to be the best for gaming until the 8th gen Pioneers came out. Still, if you like your tv to be bright, over-saturated, over-sharpened, etc. I recommend against plasma. If you want to break it in, and set it up to have an accurate picture then I don't think the current Panasonics or Pioneers will have any major issues.

Edit: Sorry, I had no idea how long this was. I must've rambled a lot :laugh:.

Oh and among those 3 choices my vote would go towards the Sony. Haven't seen it, but I've always like the XBR4/5s better than the 71 series, and I don't imagine that these models will change the utter hate I house for the super glossy samsung finish. The toshiba is an unknown for me.

Edited by SonComet

Well I decided on using it for a different room for the TV and ended up looking at 50" instead of 40". The TV I ended up buying is the Pioneer PDP-5010FD. One of the best TVs of 2007, while the 2008 model of the Pioneer is coming out in June there is no way I could of got the deal I got so I'm happy. The set is not getting delivered till the 1st of May but I'll post some pictures when it does!

Funny how I ended up getting something totally different then I started with. I will be gaming lots (after the first 100 hours of break-in that is), but I'm not worried about burn-in, with the Orbiter on IR won't happen that often but when it does I can play some other content and it will go away.

After a lot of research I know this TV is the best one for me, the picture looks simply amazing when set up properly. I can't wait till I get this TV, gaming and Blu-rays are going to look amazing!

I use to play on my parents 50" 720p Samsung DLP but it had horrible delay, around half a second. Probably doesn't sound like much but it made all games feel like they had constant lag and led me to not playing online because I just couldn't play good. I can't wait to enjoy online gaming again!

I'll upload some pictures shortly after I get it.