Win 98 on newer PCs?

Madoshi

if you really want Windows 98 on REAL hardware, find an old Northwood P4 box (or board) that has the Intel 845 chipset with integrated "Intel Extreme" graphics. the drivers are easy to install and come straight from Intel's site. you should have good luck finding drivers for onboard NICs and integrated audio chipsets of the era that you would likely find on such a board

stick in a 256 meg DDR266 module, and a 2GHz P4 or Celeron and it will run like a dream

you will be having to burn a CD or have another way of getting such drivers on the machine tho, because USB isn't supported without a driver of it's own

splur

Might be your RAM. Windows 98 doesn't like anything above 512mb RAM, even though it's actual maximum is 2gb. But Windows 98 should install on a P4... maybe try second edition?

Not sure if it's worth the fuss.

Madoshi

all versions of 98 crash when more that 512 megs of ram is installed. actually, i think the limit is just a meg or 2 below 512 but i could be wrong

i have never heard of a >512MB hotfix but even if there were one, you would have to do the install with 512 or less otherwise the installer crashes randomly (i tried this many times)

• 4 weeks later...
smooths*

Over a year later do you really think he still needs help? lol.

kaffra

make sure the install drive isnt using ntfs.

edit opps old thread

Xilo

Edit: Damn you bumper didn't even notice the dates...