[Boxing] De La Hoya vs Forbes

2cn6xyr.jpg

The Golden Boy is coming home to HBO. For the first time in years, Oscar De La Hoya will fight live on HBO against former champ Steve Forbes. Saturday, May 3 at 10:00 PM ET/7:00 PM PT.

Headlining the inaugural boxing event at The Home Depot Center's 27,000-seat soccer stadium, Los Angeles native Oscar De La Hoya (38-5, 30 KOs) will fight live on HBO's flagship boxing series for the first time since 2001. Coming off the highest-grossing fight in history - his showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May 2007 - the former six-division world champion will be making his 31st appearance on HBO, hoping to thrill the fans who have supported him since his amateur days in East Los Angeles. The fight also marks the return of Floyd Mayweather Sr. to the De La Hoya corner as head trainer.

Steve Forbes (33-5, 9 KOs), from Las Vegas by way of Portland, Ore., is coming off a split-decision victory over the highly touted Francisco Bojado last October. A former super featherweight champion and finalist on "The Contender," who has never been knocked down in 11 years as a professional, Forbes will be making his HBO debut under the tutelage of Mayweather Sr.'s brother, Jeff Mayweather.

What do people think of this fight?...gonna be easy for Hoya?

• 2 weeks later...

The scores: 119-109 (twice), 120-108 -- all for Oscar De La Hoya.

So that was just a warm up for Floyd but will he beat Floyd?

Wow, totally missed this one. I think he can definately beat Floyd. He was unlucky in their last fight, and if when the next time they meet it is similar to the last time, then it could definately go either way!

DLH clearly loss the muscle he carried in his previous fights. He looks like he wants to box more and even though he did well against Forbes, its not a good plan against Mayweather. He will need to muscle Mayweather and hurt him. However, losing that bulk he seems to carry more gas in the later rounds, a trade off of sorts. I'd like him to beat Floyd but its not a done deal and I'm hearing talks of Cotto in November.