Office Professional 2007 - 2 Discs.

Question

I've recently purchased and installed Office Professional 2007 which comes on two CDs - Disc 1 and Disc 2.

I'm curious as to the purpose of Disc 2 as after installing from Disc 1 there isn't a prompt to insert Disc 2, and installation seems complete. Nothing in the accompanying brochure has any reference to Disc 2.

Should I run Disc 2?

17 answers to this question

I have a dvd version, but did you install the WHOLE office suite? not just Word, Excel, Outlook?

I can't really say whether I have installed "the WHOLE office suite", or not, as I don't understand what the term means when used as you have used it.

My understanding is 'Office Suite' is just a collective term for Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. - does it have further meanings?

What I do know is that I followed the instructions in the brochure and then any instructions given when I ran Disc 1, including entering the Product Key and activating, but as I said previously, there isn't any mention of Disc 2 and the last instruction I received was to restart the computer to finish the installation.

I have Office 2007 Ultimate and Business Contact Manager is on my second disk.

Mine all have Business Contact Manager on disk 2. If you don't need it, don't bother installing it - as it also installs SQL server iirc (I havent used it in ages so I may be wrong).

I can't really say whether I have installed "the WHOLE office suite", or not, as I don't understand what the term means when used as you have used it.

My understanding is 'Office Suite' is just a collective term for Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. - does it have further meanings?

What I do know is that I followed the instructions in the brochure and then any instructions given when I ran Disc 1, including entering the Product Key and activating, but as I said previously, there isn't any mention of Disc 2 and the last instruction I received was to restart the computer to finish the installation.

Yes,

Access 2007

Accounting Express 2008

Excel 2007

Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager

PowerPoint 2007

Publisher 2007

Word 2007

All of those would constitute the "Office Suite" or did you just install Word, Excel, Outlook.

Mine all have Business Contact Manager on disk 2. If you don't need it, don't bother installing it - as it also installs SQL server iirc (I havent used it in ages so I may be wrong).

It does install SQL Server 2005. I took it off my system almost straight away.

Yes,

Access 2007

Accounting Express 2008

Excel 2007

Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager

PowerPoint 2007

Publisher 2007

Word 2007

All of those would constitute the "Office Suite" or did you just install Word, Excel, Outlook.

In that case I have installed the "Office Suite". I think, as other respondents have mentioned, Disc 2 must contain Business Contact Manager, which is not something I need.

When you write "or did you just install Word, Excel, Outlook", can I take it that these components can be installed individually?

In that case I have installed the "Office Suite". I think, as other respondents have mentioned, Disc 2 must contain Business Contact Manager, which is not something I need.

When you write "or did you just install Word, Excel, Outlook", can I take it that these components can be installed individually?

Yes, but you have to do a "Custom Install" and select just the ones you need/want. For example I have Office 2007 Pro Plus, all I have installed is Word, Excel, Outlook, and the few things that go with them.

You should've seen something like this:

Edited by CrashGordon

It does install SQL Server 2005. I took it off my system almost straight away.

Thank you for this information. As I don't require Business Contact Manager, I see I can ignore Disc 2.

Yes, but you have to do a "Custom Install" and select just the ones you need/want.

Handy to know as a "Custom Install" would suit me best - in my ignorance I ran the standard install - so I'll reinstall using this setting.

Handy to know as a "Custom Install" would suit me best - in my ignorance I ran the standard install - so I'll reinstall using this setting.

No ignorance on your part at all, I'm just so used to doing "Custom Installs" on every program I install (where it gets installed to, what features are installed). On those boxes you can see the options you have, just mark the apps you don't need with the "Not Available". Most people will not need everything that's included in the whole suite, so just install the ones you do need. ;)

Or the key entered only unlocked full versions of the basics for him. He most likely installed what he paid for, no more, no less.

Could be, but wouldn't you still have the option of just installing the components you want, not the whole suite?