'Non-parallel' LAN

A little while ago, we moved house, into a new one which is networked.

By networked, I mean there are LAN sockets dotted around the house, with all the plug ends ending up in one cupboard. The problem is, when I try to use the LAN with my computer, it's acts as though there's a breakage in the wires (i.e, unplugged).

Yet when I use a connection diagnostics device (not sure what proper name is for them, but basically you attatch a small replyer on one end, and the main device to the other) it says "Connected" and "Non parallel".

Anyone care to explain what non-paralell means, and how I can work around it?

What equipment have you got plugged into the other end of these wires in the cupboard? Not sure what non parallel is about but if your passing the cable test it should be fine. Will depend on the equipment in the cupboard??

I have a switch connected to a router. But that's irrelevant, because I have tested those before and know they work. Also, I am not testing the cable with those - i am only testing the wire in between the LAN socket, and the other end. The wires all go through the loft

I've just noticed that when I test a normal length of LAN cable, all the Pin lights, from 0 to 8, light up. When I test our LAN cables, the Pins light up from 0 - 8 but without 7

It could be but most switches are auto sensing and sense which one you using - thats why i asked what he had connected at the other end.

I have a switch connected to a router. But that's irrelevant, because I have tested those before and know they work. Also, I am not testing the cable with those - i am only testing the wire in between the LAN socket, and the other end. The wires all go through the loft.

I've just noticed that when I test a normal length of LAN cable, all the Pin lights, from 0 to 8, light up. When I test our LAN cables, the Pins light up from 0 - 8 but without 7

That means that cable seven within your actual LAN cable is faulty somewhere. Either not terminated right or broken in the middle! In the UK its generally the white-brown cable. Can you visually check it is making a good connection in the Rj-45 connector?

Well, I tested multiple sockets, all with the same result. The tester says that it's connected, just non-parallel. All the pins light up apart from one or two.

Are you sure its for computer equipment, and not telephone?

You haven't given us any technical information, do the wires go into a patch panel? What's in the cupboard where the wires lead?

Well, I tested multiple sockets, all with the same result. The tester says that it's connected, just non-parallel. All the pins light up apart from one or two.

Well if you missing lights on a few of the pins then it wont work. The cables are either broken or not terminated right.

http://www.nullmodem.com/RJ-45.htm

10bta.jpg

Thank you Maximum Error, that seems to be the explanation so far.

But I struggle to see how all of them are damaged :s

Ok, just checked another socket - all pins lit up, yet it still said parallel and I still couldn't get an internet connection from it :(

What category is the network cable running from the sockets? If the cable was installed a long time ago it might only be category 3, in which case it will only run at 10mbps and 100mbps adaptors might have to be manually forced to operate at the lower speed (only 100BASE-T4 adaptors can run Cat3 networks at 100mb, yours are most likely 100BASE-TX). It should be written down the side of the cable somewhere (unlikely but worth checking).

What category is the network cable running from the sockets? If the cable was installed a long time ago it might only be category 3, in which case it will only run at 10mbps and 100mbps adaptors might have to be manually forced to operate at the lower speed. It should be written down the side of the cable somewhere (unlikely but worth checking).

Category 5e

Again, as you never answered my question, I'll ask: Whats in the cupboard! You're not telling us, its possible these 'network points' are not meant for data, but voice.

I don't care about your switch and router in the cupboard. Where do the wires from the sockets go!

Again, as you never answered my question, I'll ask: Whats in the cupboard! You're not telling us, its possible these 'network points' are not meant for data, but voice.

I don't care about your switch and router in the cupboard. Where do the wires from the sockets go!

The wires from the sockets go into the cupboard and just end there, whatever device they were previously attached to was removed by the previous owners. Now he has attached his own switch/router setup to them.

I would just take the plates or whatever off the wall and manually inspect how they are wired

+1

Sorry TurboTuna: It's pretty much what NickJ said. The Cat5e LAN cable goes from the socket, into the loft (where, judging from the house blueprints, it just goes straight across, with nothing in between) and then goes into the wardrobe. All seven sockets in the house end up in the wardrobe. There's nothing else in the cupboard, except for a TV amplifier.

As i mentioned, do you know the sockets are for Data? They could be for voice.

Yeah, it said in the blueprints for the house they were for data.

<<reply editted>>

see below

By networked, I mean there are LAN sockets dotted around the house, with all the plug ends ending up in one cupboard.

What equipment have you got plugged into the other end of these wires in the cupboard? ...
I have a switch connected to a router....

This is an interesting one, i doubt they are all crossover cables. But what is the model # of the switch you have? Also, was this house used for anything in particular before you guys moved in? (was it just a house or a small shop or something?)

I would just take the plates or whatever off the wall and manually inspect how they are wired

Sorry but have you even tried it? Seems stupid to troubleshoot all the devices at each end when you don't know if the cables in between are even properly terminated.