42" or 46" LCD, 720p or 1080p?

i'm planning to purchase a new LCD flat panel tv within the next month and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for 42" or 46" models. i'm willing to consider pretty much anything as long as it's less than $1,500 and has inputs for a PC. to current owners, is there a huge difference between 720p and 1080p displays, are the latter worth the extra money?

I'd definitely go 1080p, especially if you're going to be hooking up your computer to it. For PC inputs, do you need VGA or just HDMI? If your video card has DVI-out, you can just pick up a cheap DVI-HDMI converter and hook it up to your TV that way.

I'd definitely go 1080p, especially if you're going to be hooking up your computer to it. For PC inputs, do you need VGA or just HDMI? If your video card has DVI-out, you can just pick up a cheap DVI-HDMI converter and hook it up to your TV that way.

i'll be hooking it up to a pc (an intel mac mini), but only to use vista media center for its dvr-functionality. don't want to pay extra on that cable bill!

Depends how far you'd be watching the set....

less than 10 feet i'd say

i personally think that 1080p is over rated. 720p looks amazing on my 42 inch pannasonic vierra (which is the one i would recommend). The colours on the tv are amazing, beat out anything else in its class. Its the number two rated 42 inch tv on cnet (the 1080p version of it is first :p ) The model is 42PX77

i personally think that 1080p is over rated. 720p looks amazing on my 42 inch pannasonic vierra (which is the one i would recommend). The colours on the tv are amazing, beat out anything else in its class. Its the number two rated 42 inch tv on cnet (the 1080p version of it is first :p ) The model is 42PX77

The best LCD monitors in the world are the Sony Bravia series...bar none. I wouldn't recommend going with advice from CNET if they don't rank the industry leader in the pole position. :)

he wants an lcd not a plasma.

The best LCD monitors in the world are the Sony Bravia series...bar none. I wouldn't recommend going with advice from CNET if they don't rank the industry leader in the pole position. :)

that's highly debatable.

Anyways i would recommend 720p actually since you will be connecting it up to a mac mini. the video card isn't so great on it so 1920x1080 will have below average performance. running at 1360x768 (the native res of most 720p lcd televisions) would be a better bet.

Based off of price/performance I always recommend Samsung televisions.

Once you decide whether or not you want 720p or 1080p I will recommend some models.

he wants an lcd not a plasma.

that's highly debatable.

Anyways i would recommend 720p actually since you will be connecting it up to a mac mini. the video card isn't so great on it so 1920x1080 will have below average performance. running at 1360x768 (the native res of most 720p lcd televisions) would be a better bet.

Based off of price/performance I always recommend Samsung televisions.

Once you decide whether or not you want 720p or 1080p I will recommend some models.

with respect to the mini's performance with 1080p resolution i'm not too worried because i'm only planning to use the mac mini for recording television, so i would have a second cable signal running directly to the tv and would switch inputs when required; although i'm using the mini on a dell 2007 wfp (max res 1680x1050) and the performance is rock solid, despite the higher resolution. what i really want to know is whether or not 1080p is that much better visually than 720p. for example, if i wanted to play a blu-ray movie, would a 1080p set look markedly better than its 720p counterpart?

I look at it this way, if you're going to be shelling out over a grando, you mine as well buy something that will be obsolete in a few years. Technology is always improving at an incredible rate. 1080p is the latest and greatest and although it may currently not be too noticeably different from 720p in normal HD television, tv can only get better. Also, with the cost of 1080p devices going down, it will become more common.

Purchase Wisely. My roommate just bought the Olevia 47" LCD. It is amazing! Phenomenal picture and great reviews.

with respect to the mini's performance with 1080p resolution i'm not too worried because i'm only planning to use the mac mini for recording television, so i would have a second cable signal running directly to the tv and would switch inputs when required; although i'm using the mini on a dell 2007 wfp (max res 1680x1050) and the performance is rock solid, despite the higher resolution. what i really want to know is whether or not 1080p is that much better visually than 720p. for example, if i wanted to play a blu-ray movie, would a 1080p set look markedly better than its 720p counterpart?

alright then. under 10ft away from the tv and you will notice a difference between 720p and 1080p. Over 10 feet, not really.

One thing though, if you're using it for a PC display you'd probably want the full HD resolution.