Recommendations: Processor and Motherboard

I know, i made some mistakes.

I have decided to get rid of the PSU and go for a better one :), mistakes well learned from.

Thanks for all your help :)

-SHiFT- brings up a good point about the PSU. Don't skimp on the PSU, it'll come back to haunt you. It's the least respected part in the machine. :laugh:

damn straight, when i built this computer I got a cheapo 500 watt, was fried within a week. Got it from Newegg so got my money back the same day :) (I recommend going to newegg for you stuff, great customer service)

damn straight, when i built this computer I got a cheapo 500 watt, was fried within a week. Got it from Newegg so got my money back the same day :) (I recommend going to newegg for you stuff, great customer service)

Luckily for me i just made a wrong choice and it didn't have the right connectors on it for my motherboard and not found out the hard way by it ruining my pc.

:) I believe I expressed my concern for your choice of PSU already + recommended a few others even after you had wanted to get a 600W StealthXStream. I think it was the Seasonic M12II 500W that was recommended?

:p Sometimes, it pays off to listen to the advice of some of the forum members, most of which have already made mistakes such as yours already, and are trying to prevent those new to computers from making the same mistakes. :)

To be honest, I would just grab a new PSU. Something we actually recommended. I wouldn't just grab a Molex to 8-pin motherboard connector and use it as an adapter, because your PSU might not be able to provide the necessary power anyway.

:) I believe I expressed my concern for your choice of PSU already + recommended a few others even after you had wanted to get a 600W StealthXStream. I think it was the Seasonic M12II 500W that was recommended?

:p Sometimes, it pays off to listen to the advice of some of the forum members, most of which have already made mistakes such as yours already, and are trying to prevent those new to computers from making the same mistakes. :)

To be honest, I would just grab a new PSU. Something we actually recommended. I wouldn't just grab a Molex to 8-pin motherboard connector and use it as an adapter, because your PSU might not be able to provide the necessary power anyway.

Thanks, Yes, i re-read your post about your concern to the PSU, probably should have listened to your advice hehe. I shall try and send back the PSU and spend that little extra on the OCZ 600W StealthXStream. I realised that in the long run it will pay off rather then the cheap PSU possibly giving up on me.

Quick question, seeing as you have the 600w SteakthXStream yourself, is it quiet? I read that some people have said its not as quiet as they first thought it would be.

It's not as quiet as I thought it would be, but I'm quite noise tolerant so I don't really mind.

Just a note about the StealthXStream, it has voltage ripple that exceeds ATX specifications when put under heavy load (based on the GameXStream review on JonnyGURU.com, the GameXStream is essentially the same unit) so just a heads up on that.

Out of all the choices provided, I would take the Seasonic M12II as the Seasonic unit is more reliable than the StealthXStream.

It's not as quiet as I thought it would be, but I'm quite noise tolerant so I don't really mind.

Just a note about the StealthXStream, it has voltage ripple that exceeds ATX specifications when put under heavy load (based on the GameXStream review on JonnyGURU.com, the GameXStream is essentially the same unit) so just a heads up on that.

Out of all the choices provided, I would take the Seasonic M12II as the Seasonic unit is more reliable than the StealthXStream.

Thanks, i looked into the M12II but i think it may be a bit expensive for me, so i have been looking at other Seasonic PSU's. Do you think a 500w one is the lowest i should go for use with the Q6600? Also someone said that some of the corsairs are made by Seasonic or that they r basically the same inside so to speak, is that true?

PSU's currently looking at:

Thermaltake W0093 PSU 500W TR2-500W - ?38.32

Corsair PSU 550W VX550W - ?49.35

OCZ StealthXStream 600W PSU - ?49.16

Seasonic S12 II 500W PSU - ?52.75

I go with the Seasonic S12 II.

Oks, many of the people i have asked have recommend one of these two:

Corsair TX 650W PSU - ?53.08

Seasonic S12 II - ? 52.75

Now i just have to choose between the tw:):)

Thanks for all your help guy:D:D.