iMac power supply temperature

What's the normal iMac (07aug update 20" C2D 2.0ghz version) power supply temp? Mine seems to be idling at 75C at general usage times and tops at 83C when really maxing out the computer. Just want to make sure I don't burn out my power supply and ruin my iMac.

If you have a 07aug update iMac please use something like iStat to check your "Power supply 1" temperature after you have used your computer for a couple of hours (giving the PSU a time to warm up) and post your temps.

Whatever the case I'm not really worried about it, but I just want to make sure my power supply isn't working abnormally compared to other iMac's with the same specs and I don't want to lose my iMac in a year or two due to power supply failing because of the heat.

Edit: After watching these two threads in MacRumors Forums it seems that all iMacs seem to run at 60C to max 80C temperature range, so there shouldn't be any problems with the temperature.

What is your Alu iMac power supply temp and Power Supply temp on iMac 24"

Edit 2008-5-6: After turning my iMac off for 12 hours (through the night in a well ventilated room and it's been cold couple of days here) and pulling every cord (including the power cord) so that there was no way it would still be connected to a power source,

I turned it back on this morning and the instance it loaded the iStats I looked at the PSU temp and it was 64C and this has been always the case when I turn my iMac off, when it starts the Power Supply 1 temp is always somewhere 64c min.

So temperature is certainly at the normal range, because it's physically impossible to heat the PSU to such temperature (64C) in so short time (MacOSX boots in less than 30sec, so this was all the time it took for me to check the temps).

The 64C is a kind of zero point (cold state after turning off your computer) for this sensor and real temperature is in reality much lower (~20C lower I guess).

Edited by B-52Stratofortress

Hmmm...mine right now is 117F that is playing music and then this site. Ambient in the house is 64F so that might have something to do with mine being cool. (47C). Dont know which one I have though, if it is the Aug 07 or not. I got it from Apple in March so probably so.

I have the same system as you. After about 12 hours of uptime and moderate usage - web browsing, iTunes, IRC - the power supply temperature is at 69?C, with the ambient temperature being around 23?C.

Hmmm...mine right now is 117F that is playing music and then this site. Ambient in the house is 64F so that might have something to do with mine being cool. (47C). Dont know which one I have though, if it is the Aug 07 or not. I got it from Apple in March so probably so.

What's your uptime?

If it's bought in March you have Aug 07 version, Revision D iMacs were released on April 28, 2008.

I have the same system as you. After about 12 hours of uptime and moderate usage - web browsing, iTunes, IRC - the power supply temperature is at 69?C, with the ambient temperature being around 23?C.

My ambient (from iStats) temperature is 27C and current power supply is 76C and I have also used the iMac moderately and my uptime is 5 hours, so it's a match to your results.

Good, because I'm pretty sure Apple has designed these PSU's to work under such temperatures, especially considering that I haven't heard anyone complaining that their iMac PSU has given up and failed.

Uptime at this moment is 15h 31mins. However, I was running it for 5 days before until I decided to bootcamp. So, it has been running for a little bit here. At this moment now it is 115F so not much of a change, but the temp in the house has gone up a bit as it is getting warmer outside.

Uptime at this moment is 15h 31mins. However, I was running it for 5 days before until I decided to bootcamp. So, it has been running for a little bit here. At this moment now it is 115F so not much of a change, but the temp in the house has gone up a bit as it is getting warmer outside.

What's your fan speeds? Mine are defaults, so CPU is currently 1200rpm, Hard Drive 1200rpm and Optical Drive 1000rpm.

What's your exact specs? 24" or 20" version?

my PSU finally hit 79-80c

my ambient temp is 25c and I have been running folding@home for 2 full days (with 4 days uptime) now, so full CPU usage.